Holy Capacitor Parasound HCA-2200II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just picked up a Parasound HCA-2200II that the P.O reported had a problem. one channel would not come on for 2-3 minutes after cold start.

I fired it up on the bench and both channels seemed to work ok right away. I guess i did tighten the PSU cap screws before first fire....maybe that was it i don't know?

I was a little surprised by the cold start idle current! 4 amps then slowly drops down to about 2 amps after 10-15 minutes as the amp warms up.

What surprised me the most was all the capacitors inside! Holy wow batman! i have never seen so many caps in an amp!!!

and i love the double toroid mounting method. one big A*S bolt right through the middle! I mean that sucker is 1/2" in diameter i would bet hahahhaha Love it!

Zc

Thanks to the info provided my J.C i contacted Tony today at Parasound and he sent me a schematic for my HCA-2200 MKII

I am beginning to think that the problem the P.O. reported was with other parts of his system and not with the amp itself. Need to run the amp a while and see if i can duplicate the problem. if not, hey i got a great deal on this amp.

Zc

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Hi Zero,

Sounds like you got a great deal. I picked up an 'as-is' little Parasound amp (HCA-60) from eBay for really cheap that apparently wasn't working. It turned out one rail fuse had some coffee or beer spilt into it, and once cleaned up works great! These are great deals for DIY'ers. (The shipping cost can almost negate that for the big boys like your deal though.)

I have a couple of Plitron toroidals that have big-a$$ mounting systems. 1/8" steel bracket with 3/8" bolt. Is yours really bigger than that? wow.

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.