• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Holco H4P Resistors, Should I use them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recall hearing from a Holco user (an audio manufacturer who was a vocal promoter of the product and sold them to DIYers) that they tended to be mechanically fragile at the lead termination. For this reason, he moved to a different pet brand.

I don't know if this is 100% true but you might want to be careful bending the leads--don't bend sharply right where the lead attaches to the body, allow a few mm exiting the body orthogonally before bending with a needle nose plier or a lead bending jig to relieve stress at the termination.

..... --don't bend sharply right where the lead attaches to the body, allow a few mm exiting the body orthogonally before bending with a needle nose plier or a lead bending jig to relieve stress at the termination.

This rule applies to almost every electronic component - resistors, capacitors, transistors, ICs, LEDs, etc. Even wound components such as chokes and transformers should not have their wires stressed at the point where they enter the device. It can result in value changes, stress fractures in coatings or plastic encapsulation, and can create longer term problems caused either by mechanical damage to the conductive parts of the component or it can allow the gradual intake of moisture leading to internal failure at a later date.

I know that some devices withstand bending close to the lead / body junction better than others, and maybe that is the reason for the advice that was given regarding the Holcos.

(To echo the comments above - If anyone in the UK doesn't want to use their's, they can send them so me!)

As far as I am concerned, Holcos have 3 issues:

1. They have a reputation for failing at voltages much lower than the rated maximum. I haven't experienced this but too many people have reported this to ignore it as a concern.

2. Later versions of Holcos supposedly sounded worse than the originals. My only experience with was with the earlier versions.

3. Holcos sound bad. They are very colored (thick, warm, lacking in HF detail) and sound like a thick blanket has been draped across the speakers. I guess some folks like this sound but not me. I wouldn't use a Holco anywhere.

By the way, someone mentioned PRP resistors as an alternate. They sound very different from Holcos but equally bad in their own way. So what does sound good? I like Audio Note tantalums (2W especially). In limited doses I also like nude Vishays, Riken carbon films and Mills wirewounds. They all sound different but can sound very good in the right applications.

Hello,

I have used the Holco resistors since 1990. Now in my stock I have about 10.000 pcs of H8-H2-H4
The main limitation of Holco is to take the maximum care on terminals when you need to bent it; the particular method to connect the body to the teminals ( by two little cups) is to be considered.
Another limitation is that the maximum dc voltage across the H4 and H8 resistor is 250 V.
Regarding the sound, in my opinion are the best.

Bye

Walter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.