• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hlly Tamp-90 Ta2022 Chip "a True Pearl"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
550W Transformer for TA3020 Here

550W Transformer Here :

Weight: 5.5KG

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hllyelec,
Just to be clear, I have a Tamp 90 version 2. The listing on your site said this was a replacement board for that. The Tamp 90 (tripath 2022 based) had a 36 volt supply and the replacement board seems to say 24 volt supply but claims the same output power. Is the replacement board based on the 3020?

My continuing problem with the Tamp 90 has been the fact that the protection circuit kicks in and shuts the amp down at seemingly random times.

Hllyelec,
Just to be clear, I have a Tamp 90 version 2. The listing on your site said this was a replacement board for that. The Tamp 90 (tripath 2022 based) had a 36 volt supply and the replacement board seems to say 24 volt supply but claims the same output power. Is the replacement board based on the 3020?

My continuing problem with the Tamp 90 has been the fact that the protection circuit kicks in and shuts the amp down at seemingly random times.

Dear Mfong:

The power for the TA2022 is +- 24V , not 36V, it you add 36V , TA2022 chip will protect itself, Even it will be broken!

Thanks

I was looking at bridging two of the TAMP-90 to drive a pair of 4ohm speakers. I'm still questioning their ability to drive that load while bridged stably. Has anyone any direct experience doing this?

But now in light of the new amp coming out relatively soon at basically the same price as buying 2 90's I may just wait.

Or maybe I buy 1 TAMP-90 now and then a TAMP-300 later? :wave2s:

I was looking at bridging two of the TAMP-90 to drive a pair of 4ohm speakers. I'm still questioning their ability to drive that load while bridged stably. Has anyone any direct experience doing this?

No direct experience with doing that, but as shipped, TAMP-90 operates the TA2022 chip at max safe rated voltage, and the Tripath data sheet for that chip recommends a lower power supply voltage for 4-ohm loads, else you might cause the protection circuit to trip.

Thanks for the info. But it leaves me with more questions..

is 4 ohm stereo going to be flirting with the protection circuit?
Or just 4 ohm bridged.
Is a solution to just use a lower voltage power supply?

I ordered a TAMP 90 for now. I've got two sets of 4 ohm speakers so I was hoping to move the 90 to the second set once the 300 comes out.

But now in light of the new amp coming out relatively soon at basically the same price as buying 2 90's I may just wait.

Are you aware that HLLY are now selling the new version complete PCB for the Tamp 90. for 86 dollars? Two of these bridged & in a proper enclosure sounds quite potent! http://hllyaudio.com/diy-parts/tamp-90-completed-pcb-ta2022-90w-amplifier-diy-free-ems-shipping.html
One Tamp 90 and one PCB. There does seem to be enough room inside the case to rejig things & the transformer is there already!

Last edited:
TAMP90 running stereo 4 ohm @ 90-ish wpc will be very nice for the second system (assuming it runs correctly!) so I'm not really looking at doubling that one anymore.
"second system" Tekton Designs OB4.5's

I will be looking very seriously @ the TAMP-300 when it comes out for driving 4 ohm stereo.
"upstairs system"-in-progress
IMG_1465.JPG

Sir, if you need large power, we recommend the TAMP-300, the sound is a little better than TAMP-90!

The PCB is ready now, now waiting for the Chassis, maybe the chassis will take 50 days!

Thanks

Thanks for the info. But it leaves me with more questions..

is 4 ohm stereo going to be flirting with the protection circuit?
Or just 4 ohm bridged.
Is a solution to just use a lower voltage power supply?

I ordered a TAMP 90 for now. I've got two sets of 4 ohm speakers so I was hoping to move the 90 to the second set once the 300 comes out.

Here you go, directly from Tripath's tech sheet (TA2020 – KLI/1.0/11-01)
TA2022 Output Capability
The TA2022 can output two channels at 100 watts each into a 4ohm load at 1% THD+N. The maximum amplifier output power is determined by a number of factors including the TA2022 junction temperature, the load impedance and the power supply voltage.
Tripath does not recommend driving loads below 4 ohm single ended as the amplifier efficiency will be seriously reduced and the amplifier may prematurely current limit.
[snip]

Bridging the TA2022
[snip] When the two amplifier outputs are bridged, the apparent load impedance seen by each output is halved, so the minimum recommended impedance for bridged operation is 8 ohms. Due to the internal current limit setting, the maximum supply voltage recommended for bridged operation is +/-30V. Bridged operation into loads below 8ohms is possible, but, as mentioned above, the amplifier efficiency will be reduced and the amplifier may prematurely current limit. The TA2022 is capable of 150W into 8 ohms bridged at 0.1% THD+N.

Note in particular that they recommended +/- 30V as the maximum power supply voltage for bridged operation. TAMP-90 operates at +/-35V.

Thank you 4season for taking the time to respond with that helpful information. I have no intention of bridging the TAMP-90 now. *IF* I like the sound of it I will be considering the TAMP-300 if/when it becomes available.

Couldn't a person build one already with the parts available from HLLY? Just needing a chassis right? I've never built something like that before so I don't really understand. If it's as simple as ordering the board, transformer, and an appropriate power supply, wiring it correctly in a suitable enclosure and hooking it up then I just might do that...

Thank you 4season for taking the time to respond with that helpful information. I have no intention of bridging the TAMP-90 now. *IF* I like the sound of it I will be considering the TAMP-300 if/when it becomes available.

Couldn't a person build one already with the parts available from HLLY? Just needing a chassis right? I've never built something like that before so I don't really understand. If it's as simple as ordering the board, transformer, and an appropriate power supply, wiring it correctly in a suitable enclosure and hooking it up then I just might do that...

I think the chassis is hard to find in the market, it need standard Chassis !
We will also add pre amplifier for the TAMP-300 with 4 sets input select function, will use AD797 OP-AMP as pre amplifier, and CS3310 volume chip!

Also we will add a switch for the pre amplifier, I means you can use your own pre amplifier if you need!

Please waitting for the it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.