• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

History of the ECC88 tube family

Need to visit this site later when at home again. But what I know for sure from an article in the German magazine FUNKSCHAU #4, 1957, is the PCC88 was introduced that year to replace the SQ tube E88CC which had appeared in TV frontends the year before. PCC88 can be regarded as successor of the E88CC, aimed at the consumer market. In fact and besides the SQ properties and heater power requirements, E88CC and PCC88 are the same tubes.

Best regards!

Need to visit this site later when at home again. But what I know for sure from an article in the German magazine FUNKSCHAU #4, 1957, is the PCC88 was introduced that year to replace the SQ tube E88CC which had appeared in TV frontends the year before. PCC88 can be regarded as successor of the E88CC, aimed at the consumer market. In fact and besides the SQ properties and heater power requirements, E88CC and PCC88 are the same tubes.

Best regards!

Interesting, I always thought it started with the PCC88.

The PCC88 is perfectly similar with ECC 88 even if the filaments is at 6,3 volts.
No differences in any parameter

Walter
I have many PCC88 (Tungsram) and E88CC (various: Tungsram, Mullard, Telefunken, Valvo, etc.). I tested them for noise and distortion in the line stage of my preamplifier, actually an SRPP stage. Then I shortlisted the E88CC tubes as generally lower noise and THD.

I have a question. The ECC88 is always defined as being designed for cascode use.
So one section has a higher Vfk.
And one section is the designated input.
Now i once read that the output section has a sort of beam forming plate, or a slight bend in some metal near the anode. - due to the fact that the top section sees more voltage (swing) ?
Can anyone corroborate or invalidate this?
If true, it must have had to do with some initial use case, where the ECC88 provides better service (Noise? Distortion?) than for example the EF86 at very high frequencies.

And another thought.
A “constant voltage”, Vfil tube (=6.3) is in structure of the filament in the heating tube of the cathode quite different from one with a “constant current” drive, Ifil. (=300mA). They will heat up differently for sure.
I like to add that the Philips repeater tubes have a constant current drive, where for longlivety the current may not deviate less than some percent or so.
Take the E180F, the deviation of this 300mA tube is max 15mA; I have a Philips repeater tube where the allowed deviation is less if one wants to get 20 years of continous !!! use with only a 8% loss in transmission S.