Hiquphon OW1/ Focal 5" or 6" TM speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a couple of ideas on a TM that I wanna build and figured you guys would probably have some good criticisms for me on it. At first I wanted to try a ported design, but I need to increase my knowledge base to do something in that realm. So it seems like a sealed design is in the works. I've read a couple of good things about the Hiquphon tweeters, and they seem to have really nice off axis horizontal dispersion. Maybe you guys have some good suggestions for midrange drivers, I am want the more bass extensions of the 6'inchers, but it seems like the only cone that would give me enough linearity above 2kHz would be the 6w4254, yet am really tempted by the huge overlap crossover zone that I would have with the 5w4211's. As you can see, I am a little set on some Focal cones in these speakers, give me other suggestions!!! What are opinions on a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley crossover at 2200-2500Hz for those two cones also. From alot of the technical papers that Linkowitz and others have written on LR crossover networks, when implemented properly, seem to have really nice group delay, response linearity and steep rolloffs. In their current idea phase, they are really similar to the Dillon Acoustics The Ego, with the exception of a coincident cone emitter planes (did Dillon use a delay circuit in The Ego?). Has anyone heard The Ego and have commentary on it?

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Check out the 6k4411, though it is now discontinued, Parts Express got in an old backorder and has this driver in stock. This is the best 6.5" driver i know of in existance for high frequency extension with exceptional off axis behaviour. Up to 3.3 k or so, is as close to perfect as possible, with minimal spectral decay problems. Can use a touch over 4khz with only 2.5db off axis variation at 30 degrees too, though slight resonance problems will be occuring(mostly corrected with little added damping material to back of cone). You find another 6.5" unit like this.....PLEASE tell me about it immediately...I want to know about it! LOL. For extended hf linearity, try focal 5w4211 and 5k3211, if you decide on 5" units. They too, are exceptional at higher frequencies. Audax makes a fewe drivers that may be suitalble to you also. Check out their offerings.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Thank you for the references. However, their are no off axis responsed published for either driver. However, the JX92 by Jordan does have published off axis data, and is only usable to approx. 3.2 Khz before off axis response is useless for good integration with a tweeter. This is only a 5.5" unit, so that does not instill faith to me about the larger unit you reference. However, if you have on and off axis measurments of the 150, I would be happy to aquire them.

Thanks.

-Chris

modeled the 5w4211 this evening

modeled the 5w4211 this afternoon instead of the 6w4254......it's looking sweeter and sweeter the more I fiddle with drivers. Thanks planet, I'll give a look see at the Jordan drivers tomorrow morning when I should be reested and able to absord information. I have decided to try and play with some ports, and hope I can get sound with them that is clean and crisp. It seems that alot of the experienced people on this board are looking at or interested in some kind of setup where you can totally leave the 500Hz-4kHz unadulterated. I assume you guys have played with xo's more than you really would care to tell us all about, and finally decided that they mess with the sound too much. I've read that almost all musical fundamental frequencies resolve below 4.2kHz-ish, and it makes sense to keep components out of this area. So is the solution to use "full range" or broad-spectrum cones and then a tweeter for use as a supertweeter? I'm still young and hear really high (haven't tested in a while, but everything makes noise wherever I go, damn whine never stops), so I really enjoy the liquidity and smooth highs I get from really nice tweeters, and the full range style of xo design is tempting. Tell me those of you who are experienced, do crossovers in that area really bother you? Thanks for the posts everyone

quick web search

so I couldn't go to sleep, so I did a quick web search and didn't bring up anything for "jordan off axis" that was about either the 125 or the 150. I emailed the manufacturer, and am waiting for a reply. Wonder how good their tech support/email tenders are. Hopefully we can ferret this info out and take a look see at some more data.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have no measured off-axis data on the JX150. But i do know that run full-range it extends up to about 8 k and it mates VERY well with a JX53 as tweeter -- series XO at about 3.5k.

Ted Jordan has spent a lot of time getting the shape of the profile and the thickness of the cone such that as they go higher more & more of the outer cone decouples from the inner radiating portion. This is one sweet midbass, and being an 8" goes lower than your typical 6"

dave

Hey planet, I searched around the 'net a little and counldn't get an idea of what the jordan cones cost. My plan for the summer is that after I finish fiddling with this speaker, to go ahead and add a seas w18, retune and try a 3 way. The jordan is very interesting the more I read about it, and still a big possibility for both projects. Tech support hasn't replied to my email yet, so we'll see what they say. Jordan does say that their speakers are "slightly beaming" somewhere in the materials that I read. Only thing that I think is gonna be a pain on this speaker is tuning the port. But I got lots of MDF for these little cabinets, a nice shop for the summer, and I don't care if I have to build a few boxes. I should be able to get something figured out.

Ted Jordan replies

Dear Mr Sattler,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We regret that we do not have much information on this but we can tell you that the response is -3dB at about 2.2kHz.

Regards,

Ted Jordan.

well if it is 3db down at 2.2kHz, then it wouldn't really be a good mid to use with the OW1 would it? It was worth a try though to find out. Might be interesting to incorporate this into another design along with a tweeter that has lower extension.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.