Highest Quality 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Little speakers don't in general perform well. Some of them use various parlor tricks to fool the unexperienced listener into thinking they have actual bass and dynamics, but the illusion only holds so long as one doesn't listen much to live music or larger speakers. In general, I find the difference between an inexpensive but well-designed small speaker and an expensive but well-designed small speaker to be mostly aesthetic, not sonic.

However, if it's a small speaker you want, you'd do much worse than to emulate the Gradient Prelude. While they have all of the disadvantages of small speakers, at least they have decently controlled directivity by minimonitor standards. While you can't buy the Gradient driver, the closest thing you can get is the Seas H1144 or their new H1133.

I would disagree Pallas.

I find most two ways to have a more accurate midrange than larger speakers. With 3 ways you're often adding crossovers into this most critical range of our hearing and you're positioning bass speakers in places that are best for stereo reproduction, but not for bass because of the complex room nodes they create.

IMO, amirmk, the best two ways I've heard have been actively biamplified studio monitors. I have yet to hear a better two way under $4000 than the Mackie HR824s which cost about $1200. These are pretty much the standard in recording studios here in North America. Furthermore, I don't know how you build a better 2 way with 4 great drivers, 4 amps, active crossovers and waveguides for the tweeters for that price.

Their one drawback is there, uh, "industrial" look but for the money I can't imgaine a better sound. These are usually carried at musical instrument stores if you can find them in your area, they are worth a listen.
http://mackie.com/products/hr824/index.html

I see. The thing is, i don't want to use amplified speakers because i spend most of my time building amplifiers, and i'm just looking for a great pair of speakers to go with them.

A three way is fine, not a major diffrence for me. I do rather have them pretty compact as they are for my music room which is pretty small. In the living room i have my clone of Audes Orpheus, the external design is copied and i'm voicing the XO. I've used real wood, beautiful cherry wood.
For those speakers I will use either a SE or a PP 2a3, maybe a PSE EL84. I think that a three way could use the Morel dome midrange, a Seas Tweeter (like the one in the Orpheus, I just love them) and some woofer.

conscious said:
I find most two ways to have a more accurate midrange than larger speakers.

Don't get me wrong. I like 2-ways, too. I bet the Gedlee Summa linked-to above would blow me away. I just don't like small speakers (no matter how many "ways" they have) for anything but nearfield or background listening. Complex music requires cone area, IMO.

conscious said:
With 3 ways you're often adding crossovers into this most critical range of our hearing and you're positioning bass speakers in places that are best for stereo reproduction, but not for bass because of the complex room nodes they create.

Actually, besides the bass issues you point out the biggest problem I have with multiway speakers is that they're often designed with little attention paid to power-response. Whereas the typical 2-way - not a well-designed one with either a concentric tweeter or a separate tweeter loaded in a waveguide, but one with drivers just flush mounted on a baffle - only has one set of "horns" in the power response due to the spreading of the polar response at the tweeter's bottom end, a multiway can have several such "horns". The ultimate audio irony, IMO, is a large multiway speaker with a postage stamp-sized sweet spot. (Dunlavy, anyone?)
I think we're talking about the same thing when you mention crossovers in the critical range.

conscious said:
IMO, amirmk, the best two ways I've heard have been actively biamplified studio monitors. I have yet to hear a better two way under $4000 than the Mackie HR824s which cost about $1200. These are pretty much the standard in recording studios here in North America. Furthermore, I don't know how you build a better 2 way with 4 great drivers, 4 amps, active crossovers and waveguides for the tweeters for that price.

You're probably right. That's a well-designed speaker, with a largish woofer (9" as opposed to the 4"-6" stuff in many minimonitors) and appropriate crossover frequency, waveguide-loaded tweeter to maintain directivity at the crossover point, and so on. With a subwoofer, I bet it would be great for a top-notch home audio or HT system. It's not a large speaker, maybe, but I think you can fit four of the above-mentioned ProAc Tablettes in the same volume.

However, the studio monitor that's really interesting to me is the new Tannoy Precision 8D: dual concentric + supertweeter, dual class D amps per speaker with analog and digital inputs, but most interesting of all Mac/other compatible automatic calibration software! About $1800 but tons of interesting technology and a can't-be-beat heritage behind that one.

I find most two ways to have a more accurate midrange than larger speakers. With 3 ways you're often adding crossovers into this most critical range of our hearing and you're positioning bass speakers in places that are best for stereo reproduction, but not for bass because of the complex room nodes they create.

I would think dipole bass crossing over to a 8 or 10" open baffle midrange around 200-300hz up to 1.5-3k would help nullify such problems somewhat. Tweeter?, ribbon or horn I suspect, pick your poison...

Of course, dipolar bass doesn't come small, I'd be thinking along the lines of at least 2 x 15"/18" drivers per side.

I have a feeling this may be too big...

With your budget and enough space, this is the kind of direction I'd head in.

Well, I agree that two ways are limited. If you don't need the spl though, then they can actually work quite well.

I would consider one of JonMarsh's designs over at HTGuide. Consider the MTM if you need the extra output as this given the cone area of a 10" on the low end. Both the Seas 27TDFC/TBFG and the Dayton RS28A are quite good and can be driven low. Jon's low xover point and steep slope offers better than average power response. Certainly better than the Mackie which is a 8.75" crossed at 1800. The eliptic xovers are well thought out and give the same group delay, more or less, as a standard 4LR. The RS180's perform very well, with better linearity than the 8545's and just a bit less low end extension. Conceptually, Jon's box tuning makes quite a bit of sense as well.

A three way could be better, but low end extension would have to be carefully matched to the room.

amirmk said:
I'm looking for a design for a 2 Way design that would perform like a 4,000$ pair from the store, maybe even twice. My budget is pretty large, about 1,200$ for the pair, maybe a bit more. Any Great designs you can think of?

I do not know if these are the best 2 ways around since best is purely subjective and can have multiple meanings but I think the following Jim Giffin design would be bloody good -
http://www.audioroundtable.com/SingleDriverSpeakers/messages/950.html
They beat some tough competion at Atlanta -
http://maxhawk.bravepages.com/diyatl/2004results.htm
The PHL system it beat is very similar to a well respected audiophile system sold by Zalyton.

For an all out assault you may like to consider a DEQX equalized Accuton 5inch bass and Raven tweeter. A person whose opinon I respect says it sounds 'really good'.

Some posters have mentioned problems with bass and you may like to consider a 3 way. I am with Jim Griffin who says 'I'm not much on the Jordan factory TL plans as you can not get chest thumping bass from a driver this size with any bass alignment in my opinion. My vented mini-monitors have enough extension (down to low 50's Hz) and it is so easy to pick-up the lowest octave with a true subwoofer that I suggest that you aim in that direction.'

Thanks
Bill

conscious said:
I would disagree Pallas.

Their one drawback is there, uh, "industrial" look but for the money I can't imgaine a better sound. These are usually carried at musical instrument stores if you can find them in your area, they are worth a listen.
http://mackie.com/products/hr824/index.html

I'm really gonna have to disagree about the 3-way... but to each his own

I find that actively setup 3-way with tweeter xover at normal 2-way range (2.5khz or so) is astronomically superior to most 2-way's I've heard

I do understand about bass concerns... but bass problems realistically won't be that much worse than just a single sub... unless the sub is measured and optimally placed in a specifically designed room with bass traps...

at least that's from my limited experience

I've heard some people talking about the Jordan JX92, but i don't know. Four inches? even if it is crystal clear and has amazing highs, just how low can it go? On the other hand, i've seen online the Fostex F200A and FE207E That look pretty interensting when combined with a good tweeter.

I've been looking at the Scan Speak 8545 7" woofer and the 9500 tweeter, what do you think? What kind of enclosure should i use? I plan to do extensive experimenting with the XO, like i'm doing with my orpheus clone.

Full range drivers are a whole different can of worms, most have some quite severe resonances throughout their bandwidth, usually encouraged by the makers so the driver can reach a higher frequency. Fostex are among the worst offenders when it comes to this, to my ears creating one problem to solve another(lesser problem) is a false economy.

TBH, if I was you, I'd stick with a 2/3way, using the largest, highest fidelity drivers you can fit in your living space.

That is the problem, the room is very small. about 2*4m.
Two meters is not very much at all, so i thought i'd use monitors, compact 2-Ways using the highest quality 6-8" woofer and a Scan Speak 9700 or Seas Millenium. I have serious wood working skills, i used to work as an assistant to a cabin maker, i've built all kinds of closets and kitchens.

Ah, now we get down to the nitty gritty :). I think your room size probably rules out 3 ways, so lets focus on 2 way.

Are they going to be on stands or mounted on the wall?. If they're mounted on the wall, it'll probably rule out anything beyond an 8" woofer, as it will require too much box volume.

I would agree, a-noob that an actively crossed 3 way can and should be better than an actively crossed 2 way, but I was talking about within the budget given.

Actually, this bring up the real point that I was making, which was that active speakers are so much more superior than passive. Many believe that they can overcome this by purchasing better drivers but passive crossovers always introduce problems with phase shift, delay, voltage ringing in capacitors, inductor compression, complimentary induction between inductors, compression from heat generation in resistors and capacitors, variances in component values (usually +/-10%) and decoupling of the amp from the driver (e.g. damping factor).

The fact that you can get this all very well sorted out for you in a pair of Mackies for $1200 seems like the deal of the century.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.