High SPL 3 Way

Do any of you all have experience with the hypex Fusion series plate amplifiers? Iā€™ve looked into them but canā€™t find a lot of info on how powerful their DSP is.

Each amp would provide 2 channels pushing 350@8ohm for my mid and woofer, and 1 channel at 120@8ohm for my HF. This would potentially cut out having to spend $1,000 on the DSP. Theyā€™re going to be roughly $1,600 for both, and theyā€™re of exceptional quality from my understanding.

Im also having trouble understanding whether or not baffle step is an issue when youā€™re utilizing horns. I know that in a conventionally mounted driver you have to figure for this, but with the directivity of a horn Iā€™m assuming that it isnā€™t an issue.

Thatā€™s insane! Iā€™m honestly not apposed to building something like that, I just donā€™t think it would go well with the goals of this speaker. Itā€™s limited to 1,000hz, so Iā€™d have to jump up to a 1.4ā€ or 2ā€ compression driver to pair with it, or go with a 4 way. I saved that thread though. Those things look very intense and I would love to experiment with them in the future. Thanks for the input!

Im also having trouble understanding whether or not baffle step is an issue when youā€™re utilizing horns. I know that in a conventionally mounted driver you have to figure for this, but with the directivity of a horn Iā€™m assuming that it isnā€™t an issue.

Depends on the XO point, though with the wide cabs/500 Hz XOs I'm known for all that's needed is setting the shelving to properly blend with the normally lower efficiency [sub/mid] woofer, though would be the same for a higher XO point as the BSC will be covered by the wide BW [sub/mid] woofer or dedicated [mid] bass, so either way a horn's directivity per se doesn't come into play.

Wow do you know what your xover points are going to be, if I've read this correctly, you haven't decided on the driver compliment, nor measured them in the dinal enclosure?

Iā€™ve simulated the 4 woofers that are options to cover the low end on WinIsd and the mid/horn has a sealed back and wonā€™t be affected by the cabinet. Iā€™m only going to have a cabinet for the mid for aesthetics. There is a dispersion plot of the same mid in the same horn Iā€™m using on limmerhornā€™s website, along with an spl graph.

Those are just rough crossover points for now. After I get the drivers I will test them individually and play with the crossovers from there. They will be running fully active, so Iā€™ll be able to adjust accordingly.

Admittedly, Iā€™ve read several books and built a couple sets of speaker kits, I also know my way around WinIsd moderately well, but this is my first design on my own, so Iā€™m open to all the advice I can get.

Ok, it doesn't have an 8'' throat, but what about the Limmer 042?

That looks like a very nice combo horn as well. Iā€™m definitely going to get one or the other of their horns, but Iā€™m not exactly sure how to go about ordering one. Iā€™m sure that shipping is going to be egregious. I believe I can make it work with a 6ā€ mid as well. It appears that the 042 is comfortable down lower as well. I need to check on the dispersion of the woofers Iā€™m going to be using within the 400 or so hz frequency range to ensure it matches well with my mid.

I noticed they also have a 12ā€ horn for woofers with a similar directivity patter. Does anyone have some input on just going with the 12ā€ version of the drivers I had in mind to begin with and horn loading them as well? What are the pros and cons? These speakers would be outlandishly efficient and loud, and have very controlled directivity to boot. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Howard the suggested Limmer 042, the 6ND410 and a B&C DE250 looks best to me. The DE25 and 250 can be swapped with lots of confidence. I own both and have done it.

As for the 15s. I've never used either and am split between them on specs. I like some in each driver, others less. For the prices, I'd be tempted to go with an Acoustic Elegance TD15S or X.

Brett - point taken, I'll shoot them an email.

Flipping through their catalog, particularly in the case of wanting to stick with a single mid/high per side, the 870qx seems enticing, although I see OP's heart is set on a particular HF waveguide already.

Limmerhorns - 870qx

The 92mm outer dia max constraint does limit CD selection significantly, but I'm not sure if the DE360 Limmer show measurements for would run out of steam before the B&C 8NSM64 or RCF MR8N301 midrange drivers specified. If it's an issue at max SPL, a quick search shows Celestion makes a few CD's <92mm OD with 1" throat and somewhat higher power ratings than the DE360, other manufacturers may as well.

With regards to a 15" bass cab, Limmer's 085 waveguide looks interesting. I'm thinking of something analogous to the QB5 alignment but with mechanical assistance instead of (or in addition to) electronic - tuning a larger box to put a bump around 80-120hz to help the low end. Unsure if the extra weight and physical size of the larger rear chamber and added waveguide is justifiable vs. just bringing a second pair of cabs, but an interesting thought experiment nevertheless. Looking at the plots shown, they do specify a higher tuning for the cabinet used with the waveguide so maybe this is what they're doing already.

Limmerhorns - 085

Attachments

• teaserbox_12344802.jpg
    teaserbox_12344802.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 198
  • teaserbox2048905.png
    teaserbox2048905.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Ralf Limmer responded quickly thru the email on his website, there is no US distributor for his horns so he does direct sales to US customers. Shipping is done thru DHL, either airfreight or sea shipment are available, at very reasonable rates IMHO. Horns are made to order and you pay up front.

Per Ralf - "It usually takes 2 weeks to produce the horns and 14 working days for shipping by air freight
respectively 60 days for seafreight. "