• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High end transformer manufacturer in Europe/UK?

This guy in Romania can make very good permaloy transformer and probably much cheaper than the japanese versions:https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/dorin-bodea.html

Since I was mentioned here (thanks!) have a look at my (only) current open subject here;

Iron Schmitt, Concertissima & "the third" phase inverters :)

You can check my FB page too, (in signature, not too often updated and the web page is temporarily down :( ) where I have some "permalloy" jobs, like volume control 24 steps transformer (not autotransformer!) 1:10, 600Ω-60kΩ, line level input.

@thekid777 - Now, speaking strictly of permalloy 80, today's entry on the above FB page describes 2 step-up transformers for MC cartridge, R2D2 and C3PO, enjoy :)

Account Closed
Joined 2010
@dvb i did mention your FB page at first, but then delete it as i didn't know you'd like your personal data being here...i saw your 2A3 tr driver recently on your FB page but i didn't follow your work since 2018 when i left that romanian forum...

Last edited:

I have ordered several output and also power transformers from Reinhoefer.
The quality is superb. Maybe not boutique stuff, but the performance is absolutely great. I highly recommend their transformers.

Among the ones I bought are a pair of big M102 output transformers for a KT88 SE amp. They sound and measure great. I also bought smaller ones. Equally good. And the craftsmanship is on a level, Germany was once famous for. It is obvious that someone in that company takes pride in their products.
They sell open and nice looking enclosed versions.
At the moment, they unfortunately do not seem to take orders from individuals as they have a big backlog.
I hope they open again, soon. I need another power transformer.

Cheers,
Martin

PS: No affiliation with that company, although my post sounds like an advertisement.

Hi Alexander, can you expand on that? Compare HiB?

For high permeability applications, such as input transformers or TVC, mu metal or torroidal nanocrystalline toroids built of, for example Vitroperm are the way to go.
https://www.mouser.bg/pdfdocs/VACChokesandCoresDatasheet.pdf

Cannot say the same for nanocrystalline C-cores, most of them have mediocre cuts. Usually, a lot of permeability matching of cores happens to be the case. Not suitable for applications with high permeability requirements IMHO.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Starting the test
Not so bad for the start point

Attachments

• IMG_4264.jpeg
    IMG_4264.jpeg
    611.4 KB · Views: 38