high end computer speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I was just looking for a few recomendations on what speakers/amp i should get for my new computer. I am getting the Creative Labs Audigy Platinum (5.1 surround). I plan on mostly watching DVD's and playing msic on it. I'm looking for sound quality. I dont really care if there not all that loud (i have my regular system for that ;)

Thanks David

nah, get an amp, and get yourself some good monitors.

all computer speakers sounded like, well, computer speakers to me. just get REAL speakers and a lower price amp. there are many bookshelf speakers that you can get for the price of some of those plastic computer speakers. stereophile had an article on some of them in their products of the year, cant remember what they were, but they were pretty inexpensive.

I like that idea. I think I'll just go out and buy some $50 bookshelf speakers. But I still would like to find some high end computer speakers. Any opinions on the Cambridge Sound Works bundles, Videologic DigiTheatre DTS, out their flagship, Altec Lansing ADA-880, Klipsch, or Midiland products?

ok, i have this pain in my side and in my temples whenever someone entertains the idea of those speakers :)

my roommate (typical college bass-head), has a "high end" comptuer speaker system. and i honestly cannot STAND listening to it for more than 5 minutes, it sounds HORRIBLE. i wish i had more keys on this keyboard to describe just how AWFUL they sound. please, DO NOT get anything in that realm. even the klipsch are bad. (im not a fan of new klipsch at all). just get some decent bookshelf speakers.

not really. they used to make good stuff, but not anymore. its all entry level stuff. are you listening?

you know, no offense, but if you asked this question just to get a "yes, you are right, good idea" well, i cant help you. i have done the computer speaker thing, and forget about it. they all suck. and im not some rich bastard, im just a college student, i cant afford the great stuff, but i know that there is better for the money. some of those systems you mentioned are like $200-$300! you can get some good monitors, and a cheap amp for that. just check out audiogon.com, audioreview.com, or any of those sites for classifieds, and get a decent 2 channel amp for like $50-$100. then get bookshelf speakers. and you will have a NICE sounding system. and you wont annoy the roommate :)

OK so the latest H/K product I've heard was the dell computer speakers. Not bad for OEM but they really suck for an audiophile. Now my Dad's H/K 330c which was made back in the 70's, sounds pretty damn good. And it's loud enough to knock things off the wall one room over. Hehe! I love that thing!!

same reason some people love klipsche and bose 901's... to them, its volume, and BOOM, not clearity. sure, my little PSB towers can BLAST (especially at 350Wx2), but, thats not what they are about....

Kilowatt said:

Just wondering, how can a system sound great if things are vibrating and rattling all around you and making a bunch of noise?

ive heard both. :)

meridian DSP 8000's. with the meridian cd/dvd transport/processor. amazing. at a whisper in volume, they actually knocked over a book on the shelf in the room... they are just AMAZING. extreme detail, but POWER. unfortunately, couldnt crank them up, because it was in a store, and i wasnt even close to buying :) but, like i said, at light volume, they had so much depth behind them, you could tell that they were just SCREAMING to me to crank them.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Monsoons. These use Eminent Technologies push-pull magnetostat technology and sound very good. A friend uses a pair of the 100s with one of the better Arcam CD-players directly in -- the system sounds outstanding. The whole line needs checking out -- I feel the bottom of the line MM500s are the real sleeper -- tweaking starts with the amps...

Another good one is the more expensive Logitech systems that use the TagBand 3" FR with the phase plug.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PhaseShift said:
Signal-to-noise ratio: > 75 dB!! I hate white noise in the background of my music.

I'm not sure which system you are referring too, but i can make two points 1/ the electronics in these is always in need of tweaking which l will lower the SN, and 2/ It is a PC -- unless you have it looked in a sound proof room, the fan(s) and the disks produce more noise -- even an iMac with no fan doesn't get as quiet as that spec because of disk noise.

dave

planet10 said:

I'm not sure which system you are referring too, but i can make two points 1/ the electronics in these is always in need of tweaking which l will lower the SN, and 2/ It is a PC -- unless you have it looked in a sound proof room, the fan(s) and the disks produce more noise -- even an iMac with no fan doesn't get as quiet as that spec because of disk noise.

dave

I was refering to The Logitech system you had a link to. Noise from a PC isn't that bad. Noise greatly depends on the the case, number and type of fans that you have running in there. THe Asus motherboard that I am gettingg has something built into it to make them [the fans] quieter than normal and controls the speed according to the load on the system. Now lets talk about your little macs for a second (imacs in peticular). Annoying high pitched squeal from the hard drives, blurry monitors that are hard on the eyes, tiny 1" Harmon/Kardon speakers, unnecessary heat from the monitor in the same case as the computer, and dont even get me started on the OS.

I also came up with the idea of buying the bookshelf speakers and replacing the drivers with some higher quality car audio drivers. A pair of MB Quarts run 100-450 ($450 ones sound just absolutely perfect).

Well I'm outa here, gotta get up early to goto a police auction to look for audio gear.

David

hehe.

actually, i have some ways to make a PC silent.

you know that padding you use for your mattress? the egg crate foam thingie? get one of those, cut it up, and line the inside anywhere you have room. im serious, you will half the sound from your pc.

also, goto hardware store and get a couple CHEAP rubber washers. put these where any drive mounts. or if you have a cage that holds it, put washers there too. just use em wherever the chassis isnt welded.

if you do these 2 simple things, you will have NO HD whine or noise, and plus, your fans will be much quieter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.