high efficient midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I am fooling around with building an active high efficient speaker.
After some advice I started out with a two way using JBL 2226h and B&C de250.

I then got the idea that it should be a three way speaker hoping to further improve the sound.
Inspired by Klipsch Hersey etc. I bought a Selenium d250x and a HC 23-25 horn (which I suspect was a mistake and I am experimenting with making a Tractrix horn).
But I no matter what I do I just can't get it to sound right.
After thinking a bit and google'ng a lot I have come to the conclusion that maybe it is a mistake to use a midrange horn+driver and instead I should use a "normal" driver - but which?

I read that an Eminence alpha 8a could be a possibility but it is not exactly expensive and I have used a lot of time and money on cheap and awful sounding drivers - so I need your help...

Am I going in the right direction?
If so, I need some help choosing a driver :)

If you have problem utilizing a horn midrange which is a natural bypass device and it can work with 1st order low pass filter a cone driver will be even more problematic to implement. 3 ways with a cone midrange are not easy to design even for experienced designers.

I read that an Eminence alpha 8a could be a possibility but it is not exactly expensive and I have used a lot of time and money on cheap and awful sounding drivers - so I need your help...
A step up from the Alpha-8A is the Delta Pro-8A.

I have no idea how well it would integrate with your other drivers or how easy it would be to make it do so!

DELTA PRO-8A - Loudspeakers | Eminence Speaker

If you have problem utilizing a horn midrange which is a natural bypass device and it can work with 1st order low pass filter a cone driver will be even more problematic to implement. 3 ways with a cone midrange are not easy to design even for experienced designers.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to tell me...
As far as I know the problem I have is not integrating the midrange driver and get a nice spl response curve. Actually I find I have gotten more details in the midrange, but the sound is flat without any energy in voices.

I would look at the Audax PR170MO. extremely good quality!.
Here are my JBL 4530 clones with JBL 2225 and my own design mid- high section. Tweeters are Beyma CP21-F slots.

Attachments

• 000_1202.JPG
    000_1202.JPG
    549.3 KB · Views: 506
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've heard the Beta-8A used in a 3 way system and it was very clean. easy to crossover, too. Choose a suitable high pass; then just a small inductor is needed to make the Beta-8a flat out to ~5K. Bring in a horn or ribbon tweeter there.

Have also heard the Beta-12LTA used as a midrange. Very surprisingly good. But the low pass filter was very complex. Woofers were twin 18"

8PE21 *looks* like a PHL. Sounds as good as one too.

And if you compare them very carefully, the Beta 8 has exactly the same cone as the 8PE21. Different dust cap, and the B&C does have an advanced motor. The Beta 8 is just as free of nasty in-band energy storage issues as the B&C - just lower sensitivity and not as extended on the top end. The Eminence motor is “good enough” for most uses if you don’t need the extra 5dB/W and the higher mass roll-off point you get with the stronger motor. And if you do need 70 or 80 Hz low end extension, the Beta 8 has that covered.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am searching for a driver into the RCF H6000 horn - the one dedicated to it is kind of expensive. Would the Beta 8 work, too? In the worst case, I will go for the RCF. It will be for home high efficiency horn system and later maybe for a compact PA box.

I just ordered two 8PE21 for midbass horns, but I will definitely try them also in the RCF horn, since the midbass horn is not built yet:)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.