High efficiency = Increased dynamics ?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could you please tell me what is so special about the Peerless HDS tweeter compared to the similar but lower priced Dayton Audio RS28A-4 . Thanks.

These happen to be the 2 tweeters that I've used the most. I will give my subjective impressions. Compared to the Dayton RS28A4, the HDS tweeter is more airy (reproduction of artificial harmonics on a guitar) and has better dispersion off-axis. The soundstage on the HDS is wider (seems like the sound is coming from behind the speakers). The HDS tweeter just seems to disappear. Please note that the Peerless HDS has a rising frequency response whereas the Dayton dips down past 13kHz.

The HDS is also better than the Seas 27TDFC in terms of subjective detail and quickness. There seems to be more treble extension. It's a closer comparison as the material and frequency response is more similar between these two than the HDS vs Dayton.

Some of the difference is that the HDS is 25mm diameter so it is smaller than the other tweeters. The datasheet lists it as having lighter moving mass. Whatever the case, it just sounds great.

These happen to be the 2 tweeters that I've used the most. I will give my subjective impressions. Compared to the Dayton RS28A4, the HDS tweeter is more airy (reproduction of artificial harmonics on a guitar) and has better dispersion off-axis.

Thanks for the comparison. How low can these tweeters be crossed with a 2nd order crossover, before distortion starts.

Speaking of high efficiency designs for home use, I wonder what is the reason for the rising popularity of the HE designs from Zu audio and Tekton ?? Did anybody listen to any of their HE designs.

I have not heard their speakers but have experimented with the same drivers they have used: Eminence BP102, 208 EZ, Fostex FE series etc.

Hi,

Using any tweeter without any high pass filter at all is a complete no-no.

Distortion will be very poor, the 12dB/octave roll-off = constant excursion
per octave, so it it will excursion limit due to bass, meanwhile producing
buckets of unnecessary intermodulation distortion, and is almost certain
to fry for any decent overall power level applied, a complete non-starter.

Flea power you might get away with it, but still pretty pointless.
A series capacitor is the minimum for any sensible design.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
All I will say is that I've done distortion measurements on the HDS tweeter and it worked fine even without a filter. In fact, distortion was very low. Now, at higher levels, sreten may be right. Who knows. I don't like to waste my time theorycrafting either way. I used a filter and crossed at 2.5 kHz in the final speaker. But the peace of mind I get from doing distortion measurements, that's something.

Hi,

Not at 100W programme with mild clipping, or any sort of intermodulation
distortion testing. Your the person wasting peoples time saying something
works when it doesn't and wasting peoples time with "theorycrafting ".

rgds, sreten.

I don't normally listen at 100W so OK, you win. You seem to have a lot to prove on the internet, trying to sound like a guru when it is others who build things and perform tests.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.