hifonics zeus xi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The whole XI series were plagued by the shorted toroid issue. I have seen about a dozen myself over the last year or so.
Does yours have a API symbol on the endplate ? API only made amps for Hifonics for a short time as I recall before Maxxsonics took over. I think this issue was why that happened...Good luck on fixing the windings,....:)

You should apply the minimum adhesive possible. If you shoot large amounts of adhesive under the transformer, it's going to make it nearly impossible to remove if you need to do so later.

If you need to secure a large inductor/transformer, use small supports on the perimeter of the core 90° from the terminals. If needed, you can apply a small amount of adhesive to the point where the terminal windings touch the rest of the windings. This will provide good support and won't interfere with cooling.

I must have gotten that from you, I put it under the sides where they move/rock not where the wires to board are. Just enough to reach board to coil, and one spot not a line of it. Some amps have it already, I really don't like the idea of not having something if they move easily. I see a smaller MTX here that has it on a tiny board mounted, then drops that whole setup into the amp. But that transformer is small enough it might not ever move around itself anyway.

Ok im back to working on this again.. I fixed the power supply section in the amp, Now im working on the output section but i ran into a problem never seen it before now put there is a board location of QP14 either a bd911 or a bd912 goes there anyone know which one belongs there any help would greatly be appericated

The 9523 is likely a date code.

If pin 7 of this op-amp is driving pin 16 high, you need to trace back pin 5 to see if you can determine what's driving it high.

If you're careful (transistors clamped, current limiter in the B+ line...), you can defeat the protection to see if the amp powers up normally and produces audio on both channels. To defeat the protection, you can either remove the IC or break the connection to pin 5 and short it to ground. Don't short it to ground while it's connected to the board. If you do, you may damage the component driving it high.

im back to working on this amp again. when powerd up the ampo goes into protection. I removed the outputs and powerd it up and the amp doesnbt go into protection.
So with the outputs in its in protection with no outputs in amp is fine. The bd911 and 912 heats up also almost to the point where u canttouch them wondering if anyone klnows why this is

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.