hifi solid-state PREAMP ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahmad_tbp said:
why most of pre amps change the tone ? specialy in bass & mid tones ...
any idea ?

why not ?:dead:
dont like it? dont use it! :clown: there are people that like tone controll (like me :) ) but most of the guys here dont like it though so most of the circuits of "hi fi" pre amp u'll find here have no tone controll :smash:

Hi,
Many commercial amps have tone controls to allow the user to mistakenly believe they can alter the final sound to take account of the dificiencies of their system.
I believe that you should choose a system that best meets your needs and listen to what the recording producer put on his recording without adulterating it any further. ie. no tone controls for the last 28 years.

Ahmad_tbp said:
hi ..
i m lookin for a hi-fi pre amp .. without any tone-control section .. just a volume ...
and why most of pre amps change the tone ? specialy in bass & mid tones ...
any idea ?

Some preamps are just poorly designed.
You mention a change in the bass and mid.

If you will better describe what you are hearing, we may be able to give better advice.

Why no tome controls? Possible reasons include:

A- Experience with poorly designed controls sometime in the past. Audiophile logic (and I'm as suseptable as anyone) tends to over generalize -- if something was bad once, it must be dad always and under all circumstances.

B- Over optimistic expectations. Tone controls can't cure all ills, therfore they are a bad thing. Related to A, above.

C- EQ is more effective. The benefit of well executed EQ goes way beyond what tone contols can do.

D- Belief in minimum components in the signal path. Capacitors are especially heinous in some eyes and tone controls tend to involve caps.

E- More people are going to multichannel pre-amps where tone contols are hard to use. (Just contemplate adjusting tone controls in a 5.1 system - where do you start?) Result may be we have come to expect the lack of tone controls.

Ahmad_tbp said:
i m mostely listenin to metal & hardrock ... and i m lookin for a pre amp layout ... to use in my pc speakers ... and i hate tone control .. cuz it really change the tone .. i prefer to use graphic eqs

oh cmon :rolleyes:
tone control is ment for changing the tone :)
tone control is the same as graphic eq with less bands
thats what i've found http://sound.westhost.com/project02.htm
u can make it with no tone control if u want to :dead:

why no tone control in hi end systems? well because some old guys belive in stuff like directional cables , digital audio sux , this super op amp is better then that ...... ugh :D

those guys know that in the studio the signal goes through millions of caps and op amps and mixers/tone controls / eq's and all that and they still think that a small cap in the signall path will make the sound worse :smash:

also music recorded on the cd is recorded with less bass then there should be because the bass signal is much bigger then others , for better resolution u gotta reduse it .........snr is limited

btw sam9 in 5.1 most of the time they use digital tone control
look for the facts ........good luck :D

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

:DLOL :D

btw sam9 in 5.1 most of the time they use digital tone control
look for the facts ........good luck

Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tone control on a 5.1 AVR or preamp/processer regaredless of wether it is high end or low end. I'm sure there is one somewhere but it's unusual. Maybe there's a conflict with THX certification.

Personally, I don't use tone controls because I've got an EQ unit that is more satisfying so far as room correction goes. And as far as making a recording more to my taste I'm a bit hard nosed in that I'm not inclined to correct short commings of the end product but fior better or worse form my opinions therefrom.

I don't hate tone control. Sometimes it really helps - at poor quality rare records, at very low volume levels, at experiments with various speakers, etc. But no more than +/-6dB or so.
And another important thing - if system has a tone control, direct bypass switch must been implemented.

Most well designed preamps add a minimum of coloration to the source material. Serious audiophiles feel that tweeking the listening environment, not the signal is the way to go. In a perfect world you would want a listening room with a perfectly flat frequency response and a straight wire with gain. The goal of serious audiophiles is to reproduce the music as it was recorded, adding nothing or taking away nothing. Thats why you will not find tone controls on most high end preamps. A tone control in the audiophile's eye changes the source material.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Do you reall need that efficiency? I simulated a 5x gain stage and a resistor worked just fine.

One other thing I noticed about this is that it has extremely poor PSRR, especially at low frequency. The particular design I had will reproduce a 1.2V hum when injected with 1V3.3hz A/C to the rail. Its PSRR seems to improve as frequency goes up.

Guess one needs to be careful with A/C hum in this type of preamps.

Most well designed preamps add a minimum of coloration to the source material. Serious audiophiles feel that tweeking the listening environment, not the signal is the way to go. In a perfect world you would want a listening room with a perfectly flat frequency response and a straight wire with gain. The goal of serious audiophiles is to reproduce the music as it was recorded, adding nothing or taking away nothing. Thats why you will not find tone controls on most high end preamps. A tone control in the audiophile's eye changes the source material.

Yjere is considerable merit to the idea of optimising the listening environment for the simple reason that even the best EQ is usually "correct" at only one position in the room unless the room itself is modified to have a more even response. Still I find myself bemused by some "high-end" audiophiles as I suspect the real motivation is simply that extensive room treatment costs more than EQ (let alone tone control). How else to explain that after creating an excellent, uncolored listening environment, the amplification of choice is a 10W tube amp that pumps out prodigoius amounts of 2nd harmonics?

(No flame intended, I admit to my own wierdnesses as well) :) ;) :) ;)

and one thing else ...
i built another preamp for my bass guitar ...
it s a jfet preamp w 2 tl072 and 6 bf245 .. and w a 36000 uf cap in power supply ...
but it become toooooooooo noisy ... too noisy !!! ... i used a metal box for it , tryin to use the best low noise components ,and all of the connection cables are shield cables ... but it s too noisy , i donno why ...
when i just tryin to change the pots and close my hands too pots , it turn to a noise generator circuit !!!! ...
any idea !!!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.