Hickok 600A Deal of the Century!

Just before Christmas, I came across an eBay auction for a Hickok 600A tube tester. The description indicated that this unit was used maybe twice since new. Looking at pictures, I didn't think this was untrue at all. The faceplate was perfect and the case had a couple light scuffs on the corners where it may have been moved around over the last 60+ years.

The amazing thing was that this wasn't an auction, but a buy it now! Item + shipping was a little over $500 so I jumped right on it.

Unit arrived about 10 days later and I was absolutely stunned! This thing is brand new! Oddly though, one of the rectifier tubes was bad. No biggie, though.

I never get lucky with things like this, so I was really happy that it was as nice as the auction stated. Here are a couple pics of the unit. Definitely an historical treasure!

Enjoy.

20221227_180214.jpg
20221227_180426.jpg
20221227_180312.jpg
20230110_180052.jpg
20230110_180106.jpg
20230110_180111.jpg
20230110_180116.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Even the paper is in good condition. Good move.
What part of the country did this come from?
Thanks!

It came from Canada, somewhere around Vancouver. Not sure who owned it but it definitely wasn't used in regular service. Maybe a hobbyist who liked having his own tube tester? But yes, the roll chart is not really aged at all. Might take this unit and seal it up so that it stays like new a little longer. Definitely one of a kind and almost hate using it.

I was thinking the same about setting it aside :) I would also consider putting it in another case (even if it's a self-built box) and maybe using socket savers when in use. Mine is in a homebuilt case (came that way) and I don't have to worry about dinging it up.
Yeah, I think I'm just going to wrap it up, box it and store it for a while. I already have a 539C, a 600A, and an 800 that work great. No need to even think about putting wear on this unit. I did do the line test adjustment mod and a full calibration since I had it open, but other than that it's just too nice to mess with. 😁

Reactions: 1 user