Hi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a hiatus of many years, I've regained an interest in audio electronics. My background is in power electronics, but I have a broad range of interests. My plan is to revamp my system, starting with amp, preamp, and speakers.

My current system consists of an old NAD CD player that I bought in 1987, a Crown SL-2 preamp, Dynaco ST-70 (recently restored), and Dahlquist M-905 2-way monitors. I also have a Heathkit AA-151 in the basement along with some Telefunken RB-70 speakers, and a portable CD player.

This forum is top-notch. I've learned a lot and hope to contribute as well.

John

RB-70s

I'm not sure how old the RB-70s are, I'm guessing about thirty? They are 2-way acoustic suspension, with the cabinets densely packed with fiberglass. The woofer is about an 8", with Alnico magnet. The tweeter (mid-tweeter?) is a 4"x6" in a separate plastic subenclosure.

I was originally going to sell them on ebay, but I like them enough that I'm not willing to part with them just yet;). I haven't given them any serious listening, but they have an spacious soundstage and are very clean-sounding.

John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: RB-70s

JohnG said:
I'm not sure how old the RB-70s are, I'm guessing about thirty? They are 2-way acoustic suspension, with the cabinets densely packed with fiberglass. The woofer is about an 8", with Alnico magnet. The tweeter (mid-tweeter?) is a 4"x6" in a separate plastic subenclosure.

From the description of the insides, sounds like a set i just missed at one of the thrift shops. Those old alnicos can give stunning performance, but i suspect they aren't coming anywhere close to meeting their potential.

The 4x6 is probably a full-range rolled off on the bottom by the small box & a cap. The larger driver for giving a solid bottom. The 4x6s would probably really sing in an open baffle -- drive them with the Heath (appropriately tweaked up) and the bottom with the ST70. You could get away with appropriate RC filters between stages or a Passive Line Level XO in front.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.