Hi-Vi B2S Transmission Line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just had a wild idea: I have an old boom box lying around that puts out 5 watts per channel and I want to build some mini-speakers. I want to find the speaker enclosure design that results in the least dissipation of both the front wave and the back wave of the driver so I can use it all the way out to where the driver rolls off and still get plenty of bass energy.

The Hi-Vi B2S is a speaker that looks similar to the Harman-Kardon Odyssey drivers except they do not use neodymium magnets, they have square frames, and they have copper-colored diaphragms. The B2S responds up to 15,000 Hz and is flat down to 300 Hz, but from the frequency response graphs, they have output down to about 100 Hz, which is as far as I need for this small application. The Fs of the driver is 150 Hz or so.

purists everywhere gasp at the idea of a 2" driver to try and reproduce any sort of bass but I just want a couple tiny speakers so I can take this to the pool and out in the garage and other places and play music with them. They need to be compact with a small footprint, so I was planning on using a 3-cubic-inch box with the 2" driver and a length of 2" PVC pipe that would serve as the transmission line. The pipe would serve as a sort of stand and the terminus of the line would be in the base which would be supported 2 or 3" off the ground so the output is omnidirectional (with the pipe's opening facing the floor).

Am I really dumb even to propose this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.