Hey...How's Doug coming along with his Clairtone Globes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I thought that you'd never ask.

It's been awhile since I've posted on this but I have been making progress, slow and steady. As regulars may know, I am building a reproduction of a mid-late 1960's Clairtone Project G. The speakers of which are set in 18" diameter globes on either side of the cabinet. I used the Mark Audio Alpair 12 drivers in an octoganl Fonken style cabinet designed by Dave of Planet 10, which will fit inside of the globe.

I have the mold make for the globe shells, which have also been fabricated of fiberglass, and I am presently drilling thousand of hole in the front screen. Sad, yes, I know. However it really is the only way to get close to the original on a one-off fabrication. The original used perforated aluminum which was spun to the globe shape. I am not equipped to do this and not rich enough to job it out, and you can't find used ones.

I also managed to acquire an original Clairtone amplifier. I am not sure exactly how I will be using it but it certainly adds to the cool vibe of the project, along with the correct Garrard Lab 80 turntable.

The entire project will be operating as a media center. We already have the electronics and they are working properly now.

Links to the speaker build threads:

One step closer to my Project G globes being made! - diyAudio

The begginings of my Clairtone globes - diyAudio

Attachments

• IMG_0743-001.JPG
    IMG_0743-001.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0714-001.JPG
    IMG_0714-001.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0858-001.JPG
    IMG_0858-001.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0859-001.JPG
    IMG_0859-001.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0550-001.JPG
    IMG_0550-001.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 367
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I also managed to acquire an original Clairtone amplifier. I am not sure exactly how I will be using it but it certainly adds to the cool vibe of the project, along with the correct Garrard Lab 80 turntable.
[

This project of yours is very retro cool!!! :worship::worship:

As far as the amp goes I would use the front as a facade and slap a nice amp behind it (tubes would be a really retro way to go):D

Drill bit manufacturers must love you! ;)

Great job and don't give up! Such repetitive jobs can be oddly relaxing though. I used to make chainmail; just spin some tunes and get into a trance! :)

IG

Its not the drilling of the holes that is the challenge, its the not stopping and getting back to real wage earning work that is the struggle. I so want to just get this thing done and move on!

On a bright side, I am picking up the aluminum for the stand tomorrow!

This project of yours is very retro cool!!! :worship::worship:

As far as the amp goes I would use the front as a facade and slap a nice amp behind it (tubes would be a really retro way to go):D

Thanks! Yes, it will be seriously retro cool!

Yes, the Clairtone is mostly for the cool factor. I might use it for the radio and some of the controls. I'm seriously thinking of using a Virtue Audio amp for the real guts. No room for a tube amp.

Quite a project Douglas... looks like the "pieces" are coming together now!

You have a Virtue amp already or you want that for the remote control option? (yeah, besides Class- D runs "cool" too..)

Noooo, I don't already have it. One big purchase at a time!

It is, however, very well recommended and I'll probably use it. The computer will be the interface, as it already is, for controlling media, but I'll need and amp that is, how shall I say this? more sophisticated and refined than the Clairtone.

Picked up the aluminum for the stand today. Ouch! $192 and I have to make it myself...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Is the G3 still in the family?

No. Unfortunately not.

For a long while through the late 70s and early 80s it was in my sister's bedroom and then when she didn't want it I was let loose on it at around 14 or 15 years of age. I had an uncanny ability to take things apart at that age, but rarely did it ever get put back together in fully functional state.

At some point, it got thrown out. :(

I still have that tendency to take things apart, but I am better at getting them back together these days. Not great, but better. :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
This one is very cool, too. George Nelson Thin Edge Rosewood Stereo Cabinet from the '60's. Not too complicated, structurally, you could make it yourself, but in your own speakers and components.

Personally, I think that there is a strong case for the return of the console, modernized, of course.

We've already got the computer/media center portion up and running. Its pretty cool to be able to operate and control the entire stereo, computer display, TV/movie, system from your TV's remote control, a wireless keyboard, or your laptop.

Attachments

• 188879_10151532716027324_640052059_n.jpg
    188879_10151532716027324_640052059_n.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8460.JPG
    IMG_8460.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
This one is very cool, too. Not sure of the make, but its classy. Personally, I think that there is a strong case for the return of the console, modernized, of course.

We've already got the computer/media center portion up and running. Its pretty cool to be able to operate and control the entire stereo, computer display, TV/movie, system from your TV's remote control, a wireless keyboard, or your laptop.

Nice!

I'm with you on this modern console idea, but I am not sure how many "average households" will want one. The TV is still the centrepiece of the vast majority of living rooms, and there is "no room" for these wonderful pieces of audio furniture.

I am the exception (and I suspect there are a few others around here); no TV in the living room (and there never will be). The only source of entertainment there is the audio system, so it might as well be in a classy console.

Perhaps I will build one... hmmmm...

Oh, one other thing. :) Despite the fact that my only music source is a computer and it would be easy to setup a remote control system, I still get up to change the music or adjust the volume. Nuts? Maybe, but that's just the way I roll. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
1+Jims-Stereo-1.jpg

:drool:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sorry for going off-topic Doug.

You've really got me going on this console idea.

Are you planning to go all the way with this idea, or just the speakers?

Oops, I read the thread closer and see that the answer is yes! That is so cool. Can't wait to watch this project progress! All the best of luck with it!!

Last edited:
A console doesn't have to be big. This piece could be used as a console with modern innards, and for those who do want a TV, either stand mounted on top or wall mounted above and behind. So many people are going HT with their TV's anyway, and they've got all sorts of AV equipment, why not consolidate it all?

No worries about going off topic, its sort of related.

Attachments

• radar10496_pic46922_normal.jpg
    radar10496_pic46922_normal.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 141
Joined 2011
Paid Member
This one is really cool, too. Very minimalist, vintage and modern at the same time. One could easily make something like this, put some full-rangers in the speaker ends, put in your equipment! Awesome.

Pretty much exactly what I have in mind, but I'd rather find a vintage one and retro-fit it.

There's even room for one or two down-firing woofers...

Before getting to excited, I checked the WAF rating on this idea last night and it was off the scale!

The search is on. :nod:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.