Here comes Dorian!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> now molesting PEI.

The eye is leaving PEI. Halifax is about to dry up. Winds may be high-gust past 3am, so only the low/easy power repairs will be done before dawn. Depending what blew down, you may have power for lunch, most likely for dinner, though some tumble-downs may not get fixed for days.

Hope everybody is fine dry and warm.

I found more wind damage. We still had our fly-swatter on a hook on the deck. It blew down.

You will rebuild!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Power still out

And restorations range from 10pm Sunday well out through Tuesday. Seems to be a LOT of small faults, a long list to work through. (That NS outage map is awkward; the former BangorHydro page is better, you should get your office to use our old code.)

How are you online?

Last edited:
iPhone. It says 3 bars and 3G and it has been spotty. Battery died last night so just got it back. That has been the weirdest part, the sense of isolation, no internet or phone or TV, no email etc for what is really a very brief time! Also the quiet, the city was silent once the wind calmed down.

Just to be clear I wasn’t really whining about Emera, though I was on Thursday. Of course I would not expect linemen to be out during the storm.

However... NS Power used to be a crown corporation and didn’t make a profit but spent a lot on infra and upkeep. After it was privatized they laid off a lot of people and outages have seemed to increase as the infra has aged. Shareholders are doing well though.

I just got back from walking around the area and there is more damage than I thought. Some big trees down, some on houses, and the roots lift up the sidewalks. A lot of hangers, trees and branches resting on overhead wires, and some wires down. Nothing as bad as Juan but still a lot of work to do and a lot already done (trees cut up and neatly stacked etc).

I just got back from walking around the area and there is more damage than I thought. Some big trees down, some on houses, and the roots lift up the sidewalks. A lot of hangers, trees and branches resting on overhead wires, and some wires down. Nothing as bad as Juan but still a lot of work to do and a lot already done (trees cut up and neatly stacked etc).
I thought big metal tree was down. Hurricane Dorian winds wreck massive crane in Canada: video

We are just now getting back to normal from Michael (cat 5, oct 2018), power was out some places for months, we’re 10 miles from ground zero and the eye wall came within 1 mile......luckily our home only sustained minimal damage but many of my neighbors lost roofs, or total destruction. Our power was restored in two weeks (thanks Duke power!) But was sporadically on/off for several months, had to carry water by bucket from the fire dept (they had the closest working well) for 3 months.
I could feel my blood pressure spiking from all the extra sodium from canned rations (no grocery store survived within 50 miles and driving anywhere was impossible (road damage) for at least a month.

Not down playing your situation but be thankful that’s all it was......its the price one pays for coastal living.

Our power was restored in two weeks (thanks Duke power!)

I lived in South Florida for 62 years. Our power was out for 22 days from Wilma in 2006. The eye passed right over us, as I was outside with my camera during the eye. It was Duke Power from North Carolina that fixed it.

Some spotters from Duke Power came by. We bribed them with pizza and I explained that I knew where the only fault on our lateral was, and took them to it. They said that they were only spotters, and not authorized to make any repairs. It was dusk and they were about done for the day. I explained that there was more pizza, some beer and maybe burgers available if we had power.....That worked.

Big city traffic becomes total chaos and anarchy with no traffic lights. Gunfire was not uncommon, and arrests for road rage as well as looting occurred. The Walmart was ripped apart and cleaned out by looters, as were many smaller merchants who lost their businesses due to crime, not the storm. Walmart attempted to walk away from the mess, but the city sued them to either rebuild or demo the mess. I guess they decided that it was cheaper to rebuild, but it took almost two years.

My workplace had power and was open about a week after the storm (fortified building and priority power due to government contracts). I walked to work for about 2 weeks because it was much faster and safer than driving.

Note that we had generators, but there was no gasoline for 100 miles in any direction. A neighbor would fill his pickup with our empty gas cans and drive that 100 miles every two days. We had a safe house and the only working phone line in the neighborhood. We kept our freezer full of food powered up enough to avoid spoilage. The neighbors across the street had a working gas stove, but not much of a roof left and several windows gone. All cell service was out. The towers were still standing, but the antennas on them were gone.

Yep, I suppose unless you actually experience something like that you don’t really appreciate the stress involved......I’m still shaken and I believe my wife is stirred!
Peoples ptsd really kicked in when they thought Dorian was going to cross Fl and reform in the gulf.......northern Bahamas have my sympathy, our sheriffs dept is taking donations for them, I need to get over there today.

I know how lucky we are. My mother lived in the Caribbean for many years. After Hugo all the insurance companies on the island declared bankruptcy and left. (Then the volcano erupted!) She had left just a couple of months before Hugo, but never got paid for the property she sold, and it ceased to exist after the volcano.

After hurricane Juan in 2003 we were very lucky, our block got power back after 3 or 4 days. My mother in law was without power for almost 3 weeks. People set up picnic tables in the middle of streets since they were impassable. My MiL's house was on a corner lot and both streets were cut off in both directions by big old elm trees down.

62 years in Florida brought lots of storms. Some bring wind, some bring water, some bring devastation and death.

Here are three memorable pictures from my collection of hundreds.

Wilma ripped off roofs, and generally trashed South Florida. I had walked around the block during the eye when I saw this dark wall of ugly coming down the street. I had just made it back to my front porch when the roof on the house across the street started coming apart.

Hurricane Irene in 1999 brought us LOTS of rain, and little else. I was outside playing for most of the storm. Everything was flooded, there were fish swimming in the street and front yard. There were canoes and jet skis going down the street, yet the USPS delivered the mail! The house with the red minivan was mine.

Attachments

• RoofGone_x.jpg
    RoofGone_x.jpg
    798.4 KB · Views: 108
  • LakeGeorge_2_A.jpg
    LakeGeorge_2_A.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Mail_A.jpg
    Mail_A.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 107

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Still waiting for electricity

Emera NS site claims 120k customers out, now. 10k in Halifax.

And "customers" is not "people"; our house is one customer but two people and two dogs. If you figure 4 or 5 people per meter, 120k "customers" could be the whole province.

This is considerable down from 24 hours ago, but still a LOT of work ahead.

Good luck. And watch out for the coconuts!!

Last edited:
Our power came back on late yesterday. I smell much better now. Really minimal inconvenience, even food in the freezer hadn't thawed yet. Almost ran out of ice for cocktails but order has been restored. Many people not so lucky.

Biking to work yesterday was fun with some streets blocked by downed trees and wires hanging down on the sidewalks. Oh that reminds me, 16 years ago our power was out but our land-line phone worked. Now the land line is terminated on some gizmo powered by a wall-wart, so no phone service without power. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.