Help with rotary switch type

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Making one (although not from a relay) was my first thought.

Cannot figure out a simple way to get the shaft back to neutral central position.

This is what i want to emulate.

Attachments

• arc_ls25_front.jpg
    arc_ls25_front.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 250
By "two position", do you mean that the center position does nothing, and there are left and right momentary positions?

And how much mechanical travel should it have?

Is it for something like an incrementing/digital volume control?

There are toggle switches that have momentary positions, like that, e.g. (on)-none-(on) or (on)-off-(on). The parenthese are usually used to denote a 'momentary' position. Maybe your 'switch' shaft could actuate one or more of those types of switches, using something attached perpendicular to the shaft (perhaps a small open cylinder, which could fit loosely over the toggle switch's handle).

Or, you could run a rod through your rotary shaft (or otherwise attach a perpendicular piece of some sort), and have each end of it able to depress a momentary pushbutton switch.

Both of those would require the shaft to have some other rotary type of mounting, probably at each end, i.e. bearing or bushing or whatever, and something to hold it all in place.

Otherwise, you might need to attach a couple of springs, somewhere, on an otherwise-suitable rotary switch.

Hi Gootee

Thanks for the reply.

It is exactly what i'm looking for and i'd rather buy a factory made switch (surely Audio Research are not making these in-house) than mess around and end up with something that will not have the correct tactile feel.

Bearings, bushings and springs are not my idea of diying :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.