help with rca transistor info

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
can't even find an NTE for it...... seems like it must be one of many RCA "house number" transistors. they OEM'ed lots of these for TV manufacturers. the trick was that you could only order the replacement transistor from the TV manufacturer if you were a factory authorized service center, and RCA would "play dumb" if you tried to order it from them ("uhhh, sorry, we don't stock that part, maybe you should call the manufacturer of the TV"). this game was common in the '60's and '70's. my guess is that it's too old for NTE to care about subbing it. if you know anybody with a curve tracer, you can find out the voltage and current specs on it. and you can find out the Ft with a simple amplifier circuit, an RF signal generator and oscope.

the only other hint about the nature of this device would be generally that RCA sometimes used green or brown epoxy for PNP devices and grey or red epoxy for NPN, but this not always the case.

RCA "house number" transistor 18368/18369 (TO-66) - which 2N resp. 40xxx type ??

By the power amplifier "AP701" (AP-701) from German's vintage brand "BRAUN" this types inside as driver transistors.
As I know, if there are no RCA/2N/40xxx type is to read, it is still a factory number, that isn't mentioned in the typical short form data sheet lists.
About
Privates Braun-Forum :: Thema anzeigen - Seltsamer Transportschaden: Rauch steigt aus dem AP701
there is to find the associated schematic.
Perhaps one of the member here can find out RCA's associated jedec type numbers.
If it would perform a normal service, I would replace this transistors through good known currently available TO-220 versions.
But the retention of the original/genuine condition is wanted as close as possible - at least in respect of the outline (= TO-66).
Therefore the question.
About
http://www.partminer.com/part-specification/RCA1E02
and
http://www.partminer.com/part-specification/RCA1E03
perhaps there are listed the industry version (Harris/Intersil the successor companies)
but I don't find datasheets.
Thank you for advices.

Last edited:
Well, it has been four years since he asked, we hope it was resolved.
The key bit of information that would have helped would have been: what was it used in?
Unfortunately, I don't understand the relationship of this reply to the actually topic.

If I want to start a new topic I proceed to the following rule:
At first I check, whether exist already a thread to the same topic or not.
When I find an old thread to the same topic, I don't start a new thread, even in such cases, where the start date of the found thread is already more than 10 years old.

The term
"The key bit of information that would have helped would have been: what was it used in?"
is completely incomprehensible to me.

Last edited:
"is completely incomprehensible to me. "

He wants the make and model number of the product the part is used in.
The power amplifier model is "AP701" (AP-701) from German's vintage brand "BRAUN".
The RCA "house number" transistor is 18368 and 18369, both in an outline "TO-66" (same than the good known 2N3054).

Haven't this I mentioned already by post #4 ???

by post #3 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...51-bd550-bd550a-bd550b-data-sheet-wanted.html
you will find an attached schema from the power amp section (only one channel).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.