Help with kit decision....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this stuff get brought up often enough and I've done multiple searches. I've build a couple DIYSG gear for my HT but I'm wanting to put together a 2 or 2.1 channel room.

I like the DIY but not a great wood worker and limited tools so I generally lean on the flat pack speaker kits.

I've been thinking about the Bagby Solstice kit from PE as a floor stander and thought I was all in. Nice drivers....reasonable value and easy build.

In my research I came across the Seas A26 kits at Madisound and it got my attention. Pre-finished cabinet is a bonus and I think the 'bookshelf' might have a better WAF. Even thought about just tracking down a set of the original A25's for cheap to check them out first.

Not too worried about the cost difference. And I'll probably add a 12 or 15" sub to support the low end so either one will work.

My amp is a Classe' 2200i that is rated at 200 @ 8 ohm and 400 @ 4ohm. I listen at moderate levels (crank it sometimes) and listen to just about everything that's not weird.

No shot at listening to anything in my area so I'm trying to get ideas on these kits or something else that comes with some form of cabinet.

I know a bunch of people loved the Dynaco A25's and now the Seas A26's. Bagby's Solstice gets high praise as do all his designs.

Probably an odd comparison but any feedback on these two kits would be great.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Scott, the Elsinore is interesting. Joe sells the little waveguide for any that need it and it bolts straight up to the tweeter and is well built.

Attachments

• Finished 1.jpg
    Finished 1.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 254
..between the two with a 200 watt amp: the Solstice, particularly at it's discounted price.

I'd opt for the Elsinore though, but it's not a kit..

-don't forget about vinyl car wrap for finishing..

I can't believe you did this to me...that thread is 250+ pages long. And the box construction looks outrageous.

I would have never considered that kit but here I am....face down in my laptop.

:cool:

I can't believe you did this to me...that thread is 250+ pages long. And the box construction looks outrageous.

I would have never considered that kit but here I am....face down in my laptop.

:cool:

Elsinore Speakers DIY

-got to love this quote:

"HAS BEEN COMPARED COMMERCIAL SPEAKERS COSTING UP TO $82.000"

um, I think it was meant to be $82,000. :eek: :santa2:

(world of difference there between a "," and a ".".) :D

It's really an outstanding design for a number of reasons, even though the driver's themselves are not particularly expensive. I'd personally prefer a more "sculpted" baffle to reduce diffraction, but that would drive-up cabinet complexity.

Note: if you don't want to do the cabinet yourself you can always search-around for a good price from a cabinet builder near you.. OR from somewhere online.

BTW, though moderately expensive - the waveguide's Allen mentioned are *necessary, and are actually a good value for a well-finished turned-slug of aluminum. :)

*that's *a* waveguide with that exact profile is required and there is more to the waveguide than the profile alone (..stable coupling to tweeter because of the metal). Might as well source it from Joe/Elsinore so he can at least make a very small profit from this excellent design.

Last edited:
Elsinore Speakers DIY

-got to love this quote:

"HAS BEEN COMPARED COMMERCIAL SPEAKERS COSTING UP TO $82.000"

um, I think it was meant to be $82,000. :eek: :santa2:

(world of difference there between a "," and a ".".) :D

It's really an outstanding design for a number of reasons, even though the driver's themselves are not particularly expensive. I'd personally prefer a more "sculpted" baffle to reduce diffraction, but that would drive-up cabinet complexity.

Note: if you don't want to do the cabinet yourself you can always search-around for a good price from a cabinet builder near you.. OR from somewhere online.

BTW, though moderately expensive - the waveguide's Allen mentioned are *necessary, and are actually a good value for a well-finished turned-slug of aluminum. :)

*that's *a* waveguide with that exact profile is required and there is more to the waveguide than the profile alone (..stable coupling to tweeter because of the metal). Might as well source it from Joe/Elsinore so he can at least make a very small profit from this excellent design.

I spent some time looking at those last night. As much as it looks like a giant killer it would take me way too long to process it all and end up being 3-4 times the cost as the other kits.

I think step one is to find an original set of Dynaco A25's to listen too and then decide it that's something I might like. After that I'll probably build a set of Solstice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.