Help with amp repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is what I needed:

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 88
I think the FETs are probably OK. Sometimes one will get hot quicker than the others but it doesn't generally mean that there's a problem. I just wanted to confirm that there was a good connection between the gate legs and the driver circuit.

It's still blowing fuses when you power it up, correct?

If so, remove one pair of rectifiers and power it up. If it blows the fuse, reinstall them and remove the other pair. When you find the pair that cause the fuse to blow when installed, let me know which ones they are.

Have you tested the rectifiers to confirm that they're not shorted?

Clamp all components before applying power in the tests above.

Hmm. I pulled one set of rectifiers and reattached the heat sinks, connected B+, and blew a 10 amp fuse (no current limiter used). So, I reinstalled the first set and removed the second set. Reattached heat sinks, connected B+, and blew another 10 amp fuse (no current limiter, again). Both of these tests had the daughter boards installed.

Now, when you said 'pairs of rectifiers', you did mean 'two that are right next to each other', not 'the two PNP' and then 'the two NPN', correct? Because I pulled the top rectifiers and then the bottom rectifiers. I currently have just the top ones installed.

As far as testing the rectifiers, I did try to, but as I had mentioned before, the outer legs on all 4 read shorted, both on the board and removed from the board. Unless we misunderstood each other, you said this was alright.

You did it properly. You may have an intermittently shorted transformer.

Insert the resistor in the B+ line and connect the meter across the B+ and ground terminals (meter set to DC volts).

Apply power incl. remote. If the voltage across the power terminals is very low, twist the transformer to see if it suddenly goes back to near 12v. Let me know what you find.

Just saw your latest post - I can't test right away, but I do have a question:

In absolutely every test thus far, I've been attaching the remote wire. No fuses have been blowing except when the remote wire was attached, along with the B+. I notice that you are now specifying to attach the remote wire and I wanted to double check and make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by connecting the remote wire before.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.