• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help with 6SC7 to 12AX7 adapter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently came into a Groove Tube adapter that is suppose to allow you to use a 12AX7 in a 6SC7 socket. Thought I would try this in one of my GE and Fisher tube phono preamps that use 6SC7. Long story short, with the adapter it passes signal, but has a pop a regular intervals. Is there anything unique about these 6SC7 phono pres that would require re-wiring the socket even with the adapter?

Have you tried more than 1 12AX7 specimen?

There's not much to the adapter's internal wiring: "strap" the heaters for 6.3 VAC and tie the 2 cathodes together.

FWIW, a 5751 is electrically closer to a 6SC7 than a 12AX7. Grid and plate connections are simple pass through.

Those GE style preamps rely on the inductance of GE variable reluctance cartridges to get the RIAA curve correct. Tweaks, including a 47 Kohm I/P impedance, are needed to use a modern MM level cartridge with a GE style phono preamp.

Attachments

• Fisher PR-6 Mono Phono Preamp.gif
    Fisher PR-6 Mono Phono Preamp.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 267
I think Groove Tubes did 2 versions of the ''SUB'' to 12AX7. One for 6SL7 (SUB-1) and another for the 6SC7 (SUB-2) I'm guessing? Which one do you have? If you have a multimeter it should be easy to work out which pin is connected to which on your SUB...

Last edited:
6SC7 to 12AX7 adapter

Have an adapter made by Groove Tube, the Substi Tube #2 made to adapt from a 6SC7 to a 12AX7......The necessary rewire is taken case of inside the adapter base FOR A NORMAL 6SC7 circuit...........the adapter however does not work in my application, a GE Phono Preamp.. .....My question is, do I need to change wiring on the 6SC7 socket to get the adapter to work?? Anyone familiar with these?? thanks jack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.