• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help, what is this (Marconi 6204) ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This picture from an ebay auction.
What is it?
Seller claims 1/2 of a 6X5, more or less.
Sibley's Tube Lore doesn't know.
Neither does any RCA manuals I have.
Google is empty.
WHAT is it?

rgds,

/tri-comp

Attachments

• Marconi 6204.JPG
    Marconi 6204.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 249
I have a Military Handbook covering pretty much anything in tubes over time.

The 6204 just isn't there, have a look.
Makes you wonder if it was ever in production and the ebay specimen is a prototype sample.

rgds,

/tri-comp

Attachments

• Missing_6204_MIL-213A.pdf
    192.7 KB · Views: 48
Hi Tom,

Thanks, Google shows the same.
This doesn't prove anything, like the ebay auction stating it's a rectifier doesn't prove anything.
Have a look at the pdf-page above I pulled from the Military hand-book.
The reason why I'm interested is that if it's really a rectifier I would buy it.
I have planned a hi-gloss yellow chassis Marconi 6V6GT/G PP integrated stereo-amp with green hi-gloss xfmr-covers for the future.
The pale-blue octals would fit right in if they are indeed rectifiers.

...or is that over the edge...? :D

rgds,

/tri-comp

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I will try to have a look at the charts on my Hickok 539B and in the manuals, but I suspect it will be the same story.

They might be worth having as a conversational curiosity, but even knowing what they are (and I don't.. lol) I would not design them into anything. There has got to be a reason why this number was assigned and never released into the wilds.. :p

That 6204 certainly is a pretty blue! :D

The lack of documentation, even in the MIL handbook, suggests it was very limited in use - possibly even part of some piece of classified equipment back in the "good old days"...

Perhaps contacting the seller to see what kind of documentation he has that led him to the conclusion that it's 1/2 of a 6X5? Sounds pretty strange, but there's a lot of strange creatures out there in the tube world especially the MIL parts.

Or maybe just buy the tubes, pull the innards out and wire in a couple of silicon diodes if having the colored shell in your amp is the goal. (Assuming that no documentation shows up, of course.)

At the price, they don't seem to be "collectors items" but you never know. It's just "junk" until somebody wants it, then it's an "antique" :)

I suppose I'll have to burry this.
NO info from anywhere, not even from a helpfull Canadian running a Marconi fan-site.
eBay seller hasn't returned any info and neither did the web-site claiming 'Tetrode'.
Here is the last nail in the coffin; see attached pull from 1963 CV-register.

Anyway, the picture in post#1 doesn't look fake, so wtf..?

rgds and thanks for taking an interest,

/tri-comp

Attachments

• Missing 6204 in CV-Register.pdf
    201.1 KB · Views: 47
Background

To try to clarify the origin of the 6204s, I received these last week from the widow of a man who worked on the Distant Early Warning Line (DEW Line) (Radar) here in Canada. On completion of that assignment he contracted to the Canadian Forces on various projects.

It is a good possibility that these tubes were salvaged from one the above activities. In the many boxes of tubes I received I noticed other rather rare types. I have just started to research these and hope to perhaps discover a relationship.

If anyone can provide additional information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

To try to clarify the origin of the 6204s, I received these last week from the widow of a man who worked on the Distant Early Warning Line (DEW Line) (Radar) here in Canada.

Hi,

Dang, and I used to work with the US 4684th ABGp in Sondrestrom, Greenland supporting the Dye-2 DEW Icecap station. (1976~79)
Can't say I ever saw the 6204 at Base-Supply. I would have remembered the nice pale-blue color :)

I did find one other person who owns a piece and he confirms that it's roughly 1/2 a 6X5.
I'll see if I can extract more info from him.

rgds,

/tricomp

Attachments

• Dye-2_Sikumut_1964_Greenland.jpg
    Dye-2_Sikumut_1964_Greenland.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 52
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.