Help selecting amp/components for my 2 Month old Son's First Stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm an audio geek with a hand built home theater speaker setup. I'm new to the T-Amps but have been trying to do some reading before posting.

Only way to get the little one asleep is with some music, and I don't want a walmart alarm clock in his kid's room. Have to teach the audio hobby.

The nursery theme is robots, so I want a stereo that looks like a little Robot dude. I'll attach the design sketch.

Requirements:

Budget: $100 complete

Source: Iphone Pandora or ipod

Speaker size: Most likely 4" or 5 1/4" 2-way 4 ohm Car speakers due to price point.

Must:
-30 pin dock Charger for Iphone
-Remote
-No batteries or portability
-3.5mm audio for old ipod
-Bluetooth for streaming, with on/off switch

Also need a way to connect switched multiple LEDs for nightlight effect.

Here is what I have picked.

Speakers Amazon.com: Pyle PL42BL 4-Inch 180-Watt Two-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

Amp (any with USB port on back?) Amazon.com: Lepai LP-A68 Digital 2 x 15W Amplifier with Remote/USB/MP3/SD/FM: Electronics

I'm open to a board amp as well if it can meet the features. I could make the Robot nose the volume control or something.

Once I figure out the amp, I need to find the right bluetooth module, and a way to power the LEDs and Iphone dock.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Attachments

• robot drawing.JPG
    robot drawing.JPG
    412.7 KB · Views: 141
Can I ask why? It's well reviewed on Amazon, but I realize those probably aren't audio geeks.

I'm going to differ from most audio enthusiasts in that this application I'm not going for ultimate SQ. Looking at 20 dollar car speakers and what not.

Still I don't want any humming, or a firehazard, and it should sound better than a clock radio.

$25 dollar amp is what had me look into this project, I can't do $100 for the Topping amp I found at parts express.

Re: Sleeping Baby

Only way to get the little one asleep is with some music, and I don't want a walmart alarm clock in his kid's room. Have to teach the audio hobby.

The nursery theme is robots, so I want a stereo that looks like a little Robot dude. I'll attach the design sketch.

Requirements:
Budget: $100 complete
Source: Iphone Pandora or ipod

Josh
You're trying to TEACH the "Audio Hobby" to a BABY!

Your music source is a LO-fi Iphone/Ipod.

You want to spend $100 to Teach a Baby, the Audio Hobby, from a LO-fi source!

I suggest that you wait until the Baby is old enough to Actually HEAR Hi-Fi sounds.

But Hey, It's your $100. Spend it any way you want.

MLStrand56

Last edited:
I chime in only for suggesting the speakers ( what else ?)

As 4 Ω car speakers are NOT the only choice ....

Look for the little fullrange drivers from Peerles/vifa and Tang Band
they are often offered with a 4Ω coil. Indeed their usage is for portable or pc speakers . Also read the threads on the forum about FAST, which is a little FR driver with a subwoofer aid .
A 4-6'' driver to do sub-duty may come at very low price, plus the necessary
coils and caps for applying the necessary turnover between the two...well, that's a crossover !!!

Ah ! I just saw the pic...very nice....resembles my new speakers, but those are two !!
Indeed : if the product is intended for fun, it's ok; but I would make 'em learn that the channels are two and commodity doesn't fit with stereo processing.
At least it does fit when listening !

Last edited:
You're trying to TEACH the "Audio Hobby" to a BABY!

Your music source is a LO-fi Iphone/Ipod.

You want to spend $100 to Teach a Baby, the Audio Hobby, from a LO-fi source!

I suggest that you wait until the Baby is old enough to Actually HEAR Hi-Fi sounds.

But Hey, It's your $100. Spend it any way you want.

MLStrand56

I have an odd sense of humor, maybe I wrote it poorly. Obviously not teaching the baby anything, and with my price point and source it's not hifi. if i want hi-fi I'll listen to my Clearwave loudspeakers that use daytons/tangbands and are pretty high end IMO.

This is really just a decorative piece, a glowing robot nightlight dude, that makes some music, so he racks out to it. Since i have hi-fi I'd prefer it to not sound like a Aiwa boombox from 1984, but SQ is really second to design and price point.

Plus I thought it'd be fun.

Pico thanks for the input, I'll check into those drivers. I thought about a sub, just wasn't sure if I'd have the cabinet volume to do that and the 4" drivers, in one cabinet, that is to be placed on top of a dresser.

Guess :rolleyes:
Until 11-13 years old my big audio toy was a ...Philips mono radio and recorder
I could record from the radio, listen to cassettes and record live !
I think I still hold the tapes where I recorded the Tv themes directly in front of the Tv speaker .
I think that the red button is very important, it makes
the machine more interconnect...well, you know.

line arrays / dual 18" horn loaded subs
No way ! Point source and not cilyndrical is the way to go.
Talking about the diameter ...well, it's the same : big doesn't mean better...

I own both a Lepai and an SMSL 2020 amp and I cannot hear any great sonic difference. Visually there is a huge difference. I have since purchased a $5 TDA7297 board and is prefered.
All these Chinese amps are so inexpensive, it is more fun to actually buy and listen to them rather than seek opinion.
Can I suggest 'Barney sings Gilbert and Sullivan' for your infant?

Well said, Dan.
I didn't tell what the real hi-fi at home was:

it was Geloso mono amp ( EL 84 p-p ), the turntable ( mono , with rotating headshell for micro grooves )
and a Goodman Axiette in a BR box, built by my father.

In 1980 the family did a great upgrade : STEREO ! Philips RH 521
and TD 160 ; a good pair of Pioneer two-way, on real book shelves !

Now they ruined the magic with an 80 W rotel amp, a modern Thorens TD 170
the cd and the Yamaha tuner. Pair of Canton stay on the shelves :)

That was the family portarit, since my room is off limits by many years ...
( allison, Infinity, Marantz ...now listening with Kenwood 50 W )

Well said, Dan.
I didn't tell what the real hi-fi at home was:

it was Geloso mono amp ( EL 84 p-p ), the turntable ( mono , with rotating headshell for micro grooves )
and a Goodman Axiette in a BR box, built by my father.

In 1980 the family did a great upgrade : STEREO ! Philips RH 521
and TD 160 ; a good pair of Pioneer two-way, on real book shelves !

Now they ruined the magic with an 80 W rotel amp, a modern Thorens TD 170
the cd and the Yamaha tuner. Pair of Canton stay on the shelves :)

That was the family portarit, since my room is off limits by many years ...
( allison, Infinity, Marantz ...now listening with Kenwood 50 W )
I do not believe the original poster was looking for stories about the good old days.:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.