help selecting a good amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,this is my first time here at the forum and I was wondering if any of you more experienced diy'ers could give me some advice or pointers on selecting a good audio project.
I would like to build a stereo 2-4 ch power amp with anywhere from 50-100 watts (rms) and maby metal can t-03 package trannies? I am looking for a good sounding hifi amp with 4-8 ohm power handeling capabilities.(4-ohm for sure) Any help would be greatly appriciated thanks guys.
M.D.

Yes, the P3A would be a good choice, it's a very simple one.

Also you could try mine, look here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60918
I would recommend the "symasym5" one, it definitely plays well
with 4 ohm speakers, i have myself 4 ohm speakers.
If you want TO3-bjts, you could use the mj15024/25 as outputdevices.

Or, you could buy some AKSA-kits, then you have some nice PCBs
and readily selected devices, quality "guaranteed".

Mike

My personal experience from my first projects was that soldering stuff on to a PCB was the easy part. Learning how to fit it into an enclosure, locating connectors, boards, transformers, power supply and amplifier board AND THEN getting them all wired together correctly was much, much more of a challenge not to mention expense. No mater how big the enclosure, it always seems like a tight squeeze near the end.

If you are totally new to this, consider a PM21 from www.marchanelec.com. This way you can concentrate on learning the less glamorous aspects first. Besides, I've made a few performance measurements of the PM21 and was surprised to see they are actually better than claimed, meaning you will get a pretty good stereo amp out of the process.

If you still want to do more after that, more complex and higher performance amps will easier with a better chance of success.

mike1 said:
I would like to build a stereo 2-4 ch power amp with anywhere from 50-100 watts (rms) and maby metal can t-03 package trannies? I am looking for a good sounding hifi amp with 4-8 ohm power handeling capabilities.(4-ohm for sure)

Not that you don't already have some excellent advice, but maybe you wouldn't mind telling us a little more about what speakers you plan to drive and how you became enamoured with TO-3? It might open up the dialogue. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.