Help replacing RCA cable for Thorens tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thorens TD 126 mkII project w/stock TP 16 mk II tonearm. Dave at Vinyl Nirvana suggested replacing the RCA plug. Turns out he OEM RCA plug is hard-wired to a junction board.

I'm very new to this but it seems like I should install an RCA jack connected to the to the tonearm wire?

What's the best approach here? Which components do I need, and recommended brands?

The fine wires from the tone arm are soldered to a tag strip. The phono lead comes into the machine and connects to the tag strip.
DO NOT try to connect directly to the fine wires, you will end up having to replace the tone arm wiring!
This video is a guy who replaces the phono leads on his Technics Arm. You may find it useful although the tools used are not up to much the idea is there.
YouTube

The fine wires from the tone arm are soldered to a tag strip. The phono lead comes into the machine and connects to the tag strip.
DO NOT try to connect directly to the fine wires, you will end up having to replace the tone arm wiring!
This video is a guy who replaces the phono leads on his Technics Arm. You may find it useful although the tools used are not up to much the idea is there.
YouTube

Thanks - will watch the video. My question is how to forego the tag strip, at least concerning the RCA cable. I'd much prefer having a jack and the ability to change cables as needed.

Here's a pic of the wiring in question:

Thorens-TP-16-mk-II-replace-RCA-plugs-3.jpg

Joined 2013
Paid Member
You could try to solder the RCA jacks to the center rivets on the strip. If the RCA jack has a long enough ground strap, they may solder 90 degrees to the strip, otherwise a slight angle to reach the ground side will only be seen by you.
Ideally, no connections from pins to RCA is best with a 4 wire 35awg cable (Cardas) if you can find someone to solder for you.

You could try to solder the RCA jacks to the center rivets on the strip. If the RCA jack has a long enough ground strap, they may solder 90 degrees to the strip, otherwise a slight angle to reach the ground side will only be seen by you.
Ideally, no connections from pins to RCA is best with a 4 wire 35awg cable (Cardas) if you can find someone to solder for you.

Do you have a recommendation for quality RCA jacks?

Re: no connections from pins to RCA, can't do it with a Thorens TP-16 tonearm. The headshell runs pins down the arm wand but terminates mid-point so arm wands can be swapped.

scoran said:
I was advised to change out the RCA cable by a Thorens restoration expert, who said the stock tonearm cables for the TD 126 are known to have issues.
Unlikely that Thorens would use a bad cable, but if they did all you need to do is replace it with a perfectly ordinary good cable. No need to swap things around so no need for RCAs where the tonearm wiring terminates.

Thorens TD 126 mkII project w/stock TP 16 mk II tonearm. Dave at Vinyl Nirvana suggested replacing the RCA plug. Turns out he OEM RCA plug is hard-wired to a junction board.

I'm very new to this but it seems like I should install an RCA jack connected to the to the tonearm wire?

What's the best approach here? Which components do I need, and recommended brands?

First ... does the turntable work properly?

Technician's rule #1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unless you are experiencing problems, trying to "improve" it will be just as likely to cause more problems.

If you find that you must fix it, THESE or something like them should work just fine.

Last edited:
Unlikely that Thorens would use a bad cable, but if they did all you need to do is replace it with a perfectly ordinary good cable. No need to swap things around so no need for RCAs where the tonearm wiring terminates.

Early Thorens were notorious for poor quality RCA plugs, and the cables would often break at or near the plug. Notice the OP said it was recommended to replace the connectors, not the cable. That said, it is often easier and more effective to replace the cable assembly. As you said, not necessary to use anything unusual, but of course this is DIY Audio and people will mess with these things. On my TD-160 I installed some nice Neutrik RCA jacks on the back of the plinth and soldered the tonearm wires directly to them, then use a very ordinary molded RCA cable from TT to preamp. I was rewiring the tonearm anyway... and it was easier to do that than to solder to the tiny circuit board at the base of the RB300.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.