Help! Parallel 2x 3875 per channel design - please advise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rudy said:
maybe so, but have you actually tried it, i think not ...

Yeah, actually I have. I use 5% resistors 'cause they are availible at radioshack in kit packs and don't cost $200 for a kit. They can measure similarly but only because you've got a <3% margin that they are going to fall into.

But..............

I measured some resistors on a tape, infact, many values on many tapes, and whilst the ones next to each other were often the same as measured by my cheap DMM, there is always a point (maybe after 2, 5, or 8 in a row) where they will measure different. So if my meter measures consistently, it shows just taking them off a tape does not gurantee they'll be the same

(these were all 1% tol. metal film 1/4w)

The problem with this is that your cheap DMM isn't able to get a good measurement better than 3 significant figures and you've already got the values nailed down to 3 sig figs. So, of course you're going to see a lot of "matches" which could be up to .5% off. Which in my book is great but not for this application.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I have a reel of 1% metal film resistors sitting here, and while the resistors aren't 0.1% of the intended value, they are generally less than 0.1% of each other, for the random samples that I took, sequentially on the reel. My resistors in the 5% reel are also quite close to each other.

I am using a fairly accurate fluke multimeter.

--
Brian

Parallel LM3875 for AV system

I've got may spare LM2875 it might be good to use them for a high power amp for AV system.

After reading & apply all comments above in condition that using all 1% res, how about this one?

Attachments

• tmp111.jpg
    tmp111.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 203
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.