Help me design a mini-tower speaker...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks guys for your responses. You've convinced me. You've crushed my hopes and shattered my dreams. I'm gonna give up this damnable hobby and take up something easy and safe like macrame or scrapbooking. ;)

Actually, I think I'll scale back this first attempt. Since I have the tweeters I'll keep those. The Silver Flutes are pretty inexpensive so there's little risk in buying those (OK, 8-ohm version). I'll concentrate on making a pair of small 2-ways, see how much I can learn, and see if I can produce something that sounds great. I've got plenty of scrap plywood lying around so building a few prototype boxes to get it right shouldn't be a problem. Eventually, I'll take the lessons learned and apply them to another project that will deliver the bass...

I know it'll still be a challenge and it may end up in failure, but I'm willing to take that risk.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've been looking for an excuse to design (and maybe even build) an 8 Ohm speaker w decent sensitivity (>90dB/W) to drive with my 10W Zen.

What we need is some sort of mid-woofer array, so how about starting w four 8 Ohm drivers that I have on hand? In this type of 'Lazy 8' config? Or do you need it narrow, like a typical MMTMM or TMMMM?

Attachments

• seqclone large + small.jpg
    seqclone large + small.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 85
speaking of designing with four identical drivers per side, you may want to check Joe R's Elsinores. there is a dedicated thread here. those are big (I have them) but maybe you can make a scaled down version if that suits you better? not sure about maintaining sensitivity though if going down in size. even these I drove with an alephP+Aleph30 combo till recently. when looking at using low watt amps it pays off to keep them for mid/high and biamp a sub with a high wattage amp (D-class or other).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.