Help me decide what to buy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys! I really don't know much about sound systems. I play in a band and I'm looking for a decent sound system for our 20'x20' practice space. The main purpose is to push vocals to a decent volume as well as a synthesizer and kick drum and maybe snare through these.

This is what I'm looking at, but again I really have no idea what to get. someone just suggested I get these. Each speaker is $499 and I'd like to stay in this price range. Thanks!

JBL :: Product

The +-3 db frequency response specification looks fine for keyboards. Keyboards require more upper and lower frequency response than guitars or voice imho. +- 10 db specifications are ****, a speaker could sound horrible with 10 db holes or peaks in the frequency response. Lots of consumer speakers (even JBL's) are quoted with a +-10 db frequency response only, or don't even have a tolerance quoted. A famous retail store has horrible sounding speakers with good frequency response specs with a "production tolerance" that is rediculously bad. I bought a headphone once that quoted the production tolerance, +- 20 db, I'm sure that should have been a production secret.
Three inputs could handle a small band without a mixer. Fewer 1/4 phone plugs on stage keeps the 1/4 phone plugs from going in the wrong jack in the dark. (and blowing up stuff). 132 db out @ 1m should be totally adequate. that jbl eon 515xt looks useful for a small band that doesn't want to spend all night setting up. I use 15" + horn speakers for my home stereo system, the ones I have sound better than anything I have ever heard. JBL's cannot be demonstrated in my city; there is no retail store. Probably wise for the owner, everybody actually buys off the internet now. I bought Peavey but since we are 500 miles from the factory that means I can hear them live before purchase. The one thing missing from this spec is the rare Total Harmonic distortion @ x watts spec, or the HD versus frequency chart Peavey publishes for their 2004 SP2 speaker. Most speaker manufacturers don't want you to know about distortion since it is so much greater than the amp, and without hearing the speaker on difficult source material (like grand piano) you don't really know what it sounds like without a HD spec.
Note the spec sheet doesn't quote phantom power for the XLR input, so you won't be able to use a condensor microphone. Most bands use dynamic 58's for voice so that shouldn't be a problem for a small band.

Last edited:
Inside a rehearsal space, it's way more than enough.
Now, don't amplify drums !!!
Let them define the "base" sound level, which is already loud, and set everything else to match.

If you lose a reference level, by amplifying *everything*, remember that ears get used to any sound level, it will no longer seem loud enough (the base of the perennial complain: "my amp loses power/punch/attack after 30 or 60 minutes").

Truth is: YOU ARE GOING DEAF .

That's why you need at least one reference point; usually drums but also, say, an overdriven 60 or 100W guitar amp. which can't go beyond that.

Hmmmm...

There's the active QSC and EV speakers of a similar ilk, but IIRC they're rather expensive.

I'd consider going for 12"s, and consider adding a subwoofer. I'd expect that pairing to sound considerably cleaner than a 15" two-way cabinet trying to do everything.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.