Help me choose a WAW / FAST mid-tweeter please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'll be proceeding with the build using the JBL 2226 15" woofers. They will be in ported enclosures of 5cuft tuned to 30hz and driven by their own amplifier.

I'm going to try small drivers first.....something in the 3-4" range that can handle reference level listening as well as dynamic home theater. No budget restrictions. I won't be using either the Vifa TC/TG 9's.......I've worked with both of these and all though they're a nice driver for the money, they fall short for me.

My first choice is the Scanspeak 10f......I've worked with this driver also and really enjoy the timbre.......but I'm open to suggestions. I've also used the Tand Band W4-1447 as a midrange and enjoyed its presentation.

Suggested 12MU - then realised looking for FAST application - apologies!

I am currently using the SB65WBAC25-4, which although this is only a 2.5" driver, does have a useful x-max of +-2.65mm and sounds excellent from 500hz up - does the top octaves very well particularly.

Last edited:
FAST by definition probably means a crossover to a sub <200Hz.
that is probably not a good idea with a 3" driver and a stretch for a 4" driver.
on the other hand you may use the JBL 15" as high as 400hz (beaming starts from there onwards).
what is your planned CO point? passive or active filter? steep vs. shallow?
i ordered a pair of Tectonic Elements 3" BMR yesterday; i wanted to trial the wide dispersion of the BMR.
i plan to test it with a 15" (CO at 400hz) and 8" (CO at 800hz).
DSP crossover all round.

Depending what you want to accomplish using the FAST approach

After playing with small full-range drivers in FAST systems for 20 years (gosh - how time has passed!), I finally came to the realization that a FAST system with small full-range drivers might be nice to listen to and fun to play with, it is not going to be as satisfying as some bigger systems, at least to my ears.

The best "FAST" system I've ever built used B&G RD75 line-source drivers augmented by eight 18" woofers in OB. All the other FAST systems I built using small cone drivers do not even come close to that system. It is a pity that the B&G drivers are no longer sold to DIYers. In fact, my wife always questioned why I was still fooling around with all the small full-range cone drivers, instead of resurrecting the RD75 system. The simple answer is that we don't have the room now in our home in California. By the way, my current main system is a pair of Speaker Lab K speakers.

In my opinion, if money is no object, and unless you must do a FAST system, try something different, perhaps a 3-way system. I once built an HT system using a dual-2226 bass box, an Audax PR170MO in OB, and a horn tweeter for each of the R, L, and C channels. No small full-range cone drivers can approach that system for HT duty.

Just my 2 cents. Don't mean to rain on your parade.

Cheers,

Kurt

After playing with small full-range drivers in FAST systems for 20 years (gosh - how time has passed!), I finally came to the realization that a FAST system with small full-range drivers might be nice to listen to and fun to play with, it is not going to be as satisfying as some bigger systems, at least to my ears...

I'd say you pretty much nailed it. It can be fun an satisfying if done right but never studio grade sound. To much compromises for my ears but i know couple of guys who gave up more complicated systems and are now using bass + fr of some sort (saba greencone, fostex...).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.