Help! LT gains nothing with Sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a little confused about what box to build for my new woofer:
the 12" KW-120-THX Subwoofer
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

problem is when I plug it into a Linkwitz Transform spreadsheet from Trueaudio
http://www.trueaudio.com/downloads/linkxfrm.xls
it gives a 2ft^3 box response that goes only to 1 octave below the boxes resonance with a gain of ~10db. But this is the same response I could get from a similar sized ported enclosure! Is my math off?

the woofers specs:

Power handling: 500 watts RMS/1,000 watts max
VCdia: 3"
Le: 1.23 mH
Impedance: 8 ohms
Re: 5.79 ohms
Frequency response: 20-1,000 Hz
Fs: 28 Hz
SPL: 86 dB 1W/1m
Vas: 1.89 cu. ft.
Qms: 3.31
Qes: 0.42
Qts: 0.37
Xmax: 25 mm
38lbs

these were $200 at Partsexpress, but I think I got the last one, as I couldn't order 2...only one.

what would work best? I have a nice Yamaha P2500s (~700w RMS bridged mono 8 ohm) to power it.

I am a little confused about what box to build for my new woofer:
the 12" KW-120-THX Subwoofer
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

problem is when I plug it into a Linkwitz Transform spreadsheet from Trueaudio
http://www.trueaudio.com/downloads/linkxfrm.xls
it gives a 2ft^3 box response that goes only to 1 octave below the boxes resonance with a gain of ~10db. But this is the same response I could get from a similar sized ported enclosure! Is my math off?

Yes, your maths is off. Ported boxes (to be max.flat) need to be bigger than a sealed of Q=0.707.

ESP - The Linkwitz Transform Circuit

What were the values of closed box TS you used for the spread sheet?
The value of the LT is, it allows a much smaller box (Vb<<Vas) with a high Q, but you are using it in a box bigger than Vas. Most people that prefer closed box SQ over ported because with a gradual LF roll off, it is easier to integrate into smaller spaces w/o booming bass response. Note. LF extension is not always the final goal.
Build the small box (or simulate the model) and measure the resultant TS, calculate new values.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.