Help for repair my KSA 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Krell Ksa 100

Hello forums members
Thank for yours assistance by the repair of my KSA 100.

My Krell KSA 100 operated again good.
The technician of Frankfurt has got the KSA 100 very good repaired.
The sound at present better as before.
Accommodation and the timbres are very lovely.
The rhythm is only a little better as before.

Many thanks
Best regards
Alex

Krell KSA250 repair in Northern California

I had a working Krell KSA250 in the closet for about 2 years. When I turned it on this this week, DEAD. I can hear the relays click when I plug it in, but the front blue LED does not come on, no voltages in the amp come up, and the amp does not cycle on. Since the blue LED on the amplifier control board does not come on, my first guess is that this board is broke.

repair KSA100

Hi,
I have pair 1100€ for the repair my KSA 100.

The technician has exchanged.

all output transistors
all driver transistors and all other transistors in the KSA100.
all emitter resistors
and other defects resistors
all electrolyte condensators
new speaker connectors
the two raising delays

Best regards
Alex

To Alex helge

I hope, that technicians in Frankfurt told to you too, that you can't use DIY power cord in your apparatus :whazzat: Defect is too much big, that can't be caused only by some stupid thing. I mean, that it was caused by interconnection of two machines declared as " Class I ", which one was connected to the mains by cord which had " line " on " earth " . Is't true ?

Re: repair KSA100

Alex helge said:
Hi,

The technician has exchanged.

all output transistors
all driver transistors and all other transistors in the KSA100.
all emitter resistors
and other defects resistors
all electrolyte condensators
new speaker connectors
the two raising delays

Best regards
Alex
!!!

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

I'm movin' to Germany and opening up a repair shop. Tomorrow.

Re: repair KSA100

Alex helge said:
Hi,
Best regards
Alex

Hi Alex,
Assuming that the word pair has to be paid, I am sorry I did not repair that Krell. For that sum I would have driven all the way to South Germany pick up the amp, repair it, and bring it back.
Anyway the advice I gave you by email was free of charge.:xeye:
Considering the current second hand value I think you payed too much.;)

Re: Re: repair KSA100

EchoWars said:
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: I'm movin' to Germany and opening up a repair shop. Tomorrow.

German repair shops take hourly rates no less than 50€ and charge extra for the parts (e.g. 5 € for a carbon film resistor, 1/4W). Sometimes they even bill the solder wire. And still: no warranty for success. You might have to tack your unit back three days later because they ********* it up. I've worked exactly ONE day in such a shop. Horrible experience. :mad:

The whole system is over-regulated, you need to have a "Meisterbrief" to be allowed to do repairs, not even an EE degree is enough.

We can only dream of shops offering fixed rates and warranty on repairs.

Re: Re: Re: repair KSA100

AMT-freak said:

German repair shops take hourly rates no less than 50€ and charge extra for the parts (e.g. 5 € for a carbon film resistor, 1/4W). Sometimes they even bill the solder wire. And still: no warranty for success. You might have to tack your unit back three days later because they ********* it up. I've worked exactly ONE day in such a shop. Horrible experience. :mad:

The whole system is over-regulated, you need to have a "Meisterbrief" to be allowed to do repairs, not even an EE degree is enough.

We can only dream of shops offering fixed rates and warranty on repairs.

Hi AMT-freak,
Contrary to Germany here in Holland every idiot can open a repair shop, and they do!. No proof of craftmanship needed.
Of course this has a disastrous effect on the prices and the quality of the repairs. European Community? They only common I see is that prices are in Euro's in both countries.
:bawling:

Advice for broken KSS250..Northern California

I had a working Krell KSA250 in the closet for about 2 years. When I turned it on this this week, DEAD. I can hear the relays click when I plug it in, but the front blue LED does not come on, no voltages in the amp come up, and the amp does not cycle on. Since the blue LED on the amplifier control board does not come on, my first guess is that this board is broke.

The repair costs at Krell would be painful but acceptable...the $300 shipping costs and hauling around 150 lbs of amp make me want to try some local repairs before I send it off.

I also have a second KSA250 that is working fine. I was thinking about the best way to determine what is broke on the one amp by swapping the power up module.

What is the safest option? Should I take the power-up module from the good amp and put in the bad amp, or should I take the power-up module from the bad amp and put it in the good amp?

The power-up module is a PCB on the front of the amp which has about 8-10 wires attached. I suspect this includes a low voltage AC to power the unit, the AC mains for the main transformer to get swtiched on, output short detection, and DC voltage check of the main power rails.

Re: Krell Ksa 100

Alex helge said:
Hello forums members
Thank for yours assistance by the repair of my KSA 100.

My Krell KSA 100 operated again good.
The technician of Frankfurt has got the KSA 100 very good repaired.
The sound at present better as before.
Accommodation and the timbres are very lovely.
The rhythm is only a little better as before.

Many thanks
Best regards
Alex

Hi Alex,
Now your amp is working again and even better I am very curious which transistors you eventually did use for the output and drivers and so on.
Please give us some insight after so much help and discussion!
;)

ksa100

:rolleyes:
Hello Elso

I have used the driver transistors MJE 150031-15030
and the output transistors MJ 15024 – 15025
The technician has also all other transistors to renew
The technician has all transistor accuratly matched.
The sound of the KSA 100 is very linear.
Much better as before.

Best regards Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.