Help for a Naim CDI (CDM4/x)'s laser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Then, I've executed the calibration procedure of the optic in my NAIM CDi with 3 original CDs (not burned) and now all the voltages seems fine. So, things seem better, because now the player reads the TOC (it seems correctly), but when it read almost 2 minutes of the first track, it begins to strongly distort until it ends of reading :headbash::headbash::headbash:

The same problem happens if I try to change track: the reader try to change track (the led blinks) but it fails to change.One thing that I've noticed is that when it becames to distort or when it try to change track I hear a strange noise, like a light scrubbing against iron:confused:

I'm thinking: because the CD have to change speed from inside to outside of then disc, could it be the motor ? That's strange because I can only hear well almost the first 2 mijnutes of the first track of a disc. Another strange thing is that when I inserted a TOTO cd, I was only able to hear the first 20 seconds :confused:

Is out of there someone who can help me ?

:headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash:

I'm thinking: because the CD have to change speed from inside to outside of then disc, could it be the motor ?

That's unlikely, remember that the motor is spinning fastest right at the start of a disc. After the first few seconds it's already starting to slow down.

Check that the radial arm of the laser mechanism is able to move freely throughout its whole range of movement. There should be almost no resistance, giving the arm a tap when the player is off should make the arm travel bump stop to bump stop.

I've just seen it. The laser arm is completely free.

I'm thinking two things:

- the first thing is that this behaviour is the same that appened with the first optical. I mean: I was hearing a disc and then he began to distort and then in the displayn the "Err" message appeared. Then, on other attempts to read a disc, the reader was not able to read the TOC :(

- now, I had the sema behaviour (drive not able to read the TOC) with the new optic but before alignment. After alignment, I have the behaviour of almost 2 minutes of correct audio and then the distiortion begins and the player displays the "Err" message.

I'm thinking if my alignment would be not completely correct, perhaps I really need the track 1 of Philips test CD 5A :confused:

Have you replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the philips driver/adjustment board? These were very poor quality and dry out quickly.

I would replace these, re-do the calibration, and then see what happens. You MUST be VERY careful when replacing the caps as the circuit board is extremely fragile - VERY easy to lift traces.

Some photos of the mech might help too.

P.S. SIMPLE things first - try the CD player with a Naim CD5i puck - when those old 'top hat' pucks start to misbehave you get all kinds of errors...

AND it's been mentioned several times before - you do NOT need the Philips test disc... I did mine with a good quality normal CD, as well as a CD-R which had been recorded at x1 speed as a check. Once I adjusted so both read fine it was perfect. But PLEASE try the CD5i puck. Those 'top hat' pucks cause disc slip and vibrations.

Last edited:
Replacing all the capacitors on the servo board was the first thing I did (execp for the one of 6,8mF that was too small to find in electrolytic. Is it the same if I substitute it with a non-polarized polystyrene one ?

I don't have the CD5i puck, how could I find one ?

Thanks
Simon

Yep that's the CD5i puck - so that's OK.

As for the test points if they match the diagrams I sent you then yes, they are correct ;) I do not have my CDI any longer, so those are the only reference I have.

IF the lens is clean, it swings ok, and you have calibrated it correctly then I'm afraid it sounds like it might need a new laser assembley.

Double check everything - and using a perfectly clean shop CD (not cd-r) make the adjustments again. I think you need to make the adjustment whilst playing track 1 - it's in the instructions there somewhere in the Philips manual. Read it through several times first.

Hi, I've taken the Cdi to Philips assistance (the problem is in the philips CDM4) and they saw to me that, according to their opinion, the problem is in the not fully compatibility between the CDM4/27 mechanic and the CDM4/19 optic. They saw that at the beginning of the disc, the laser is perpendicular to the surface and so it's ok, but after a while this not appens and so the lens cannot focus the surface and the distortion begins.

But many people say to me that is possible to transplant the CDM4/19 optic to a CDM4/27 ! What could be the problem ?

So, I'm taking the CDM4/19 (the entire mechanic) to a friend of mine that have a Musical Fidelity with that mechanic and I'll try it ! Let's see if it's ok.

question resolved. :eek: It was the CDM4/19 I bought on ebay that was completely bad (and it was sold as new) !:mad:
A friend of mine, that has a cdplayer with a CDM4/19 provided his mechanic to me for a test and, afer tuning, it worked perfectly.
So I need to find a CDM4/19 not too worn :rolleyes:

Doeas anybody know where to find a good opportunity to find a good, little worn, CDM4/19 ?ùù

Thanks

I'm trying to replace CDS laser, it's a CDM4/21

I have successfully replaced a CDI mechanism in the past. I have a ZIP file (too big to put here) which contains all the information you need for adjustments. Please PM me with your e-mail address.

Incidently if you get ERR messages in the future best cure to try first is a Naim CD5i puck - stops slipping from the AWFUL top-hat pucks. I discovered this a few years back now and many people have tried it successfully since.

- John
Hi.
I replaced the laser with a compatible unit, adjusted the laser current to read 40mV on the monitor resistor and adjusted the focus to have a value as close as possible to 0.
The laser seems working and reading the disk correctly, but it emits a strange buzz with a frequency that is changing from high when it reads the inner track to low or almost silent when it reads the outer track.
Do you have any idea on how I could fix this problem?

THANKS!!!!!!
Pino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.