Help expert woodworkers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only element left out of your proposal and Dave's examples of the bamboo sheets is that the lumber core had a crossband of poplar veneer over the core then the finish veneer. I'd think balsa would work just fine as long as you lay up moisture controlled parts.

I used to lay up panels and doors in a homemade press large enough for a 3-0x8-0 door(s). It can be done. Thin out the glue and use a paint roller 'cause you gotta work fast :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...balsa wood…oak...

High densitity is not a positive asset unless it brings extra rigidity to the table.

Th euse of balsa & a much different veneer is interesting. Don’t know how well it would work.

I do know that a pair of Western Red Cedar µFonkenSET weighed less than a single µFonkenSET made from Garry Oak.

In a similar vein the West Epoxy system of using Western Red Cedar veneers to build thin, very rigid structures (my experience was in a canoe).

And i have seen a Hedlund Horn (not a recommended build) done in veneers laid up in place to make a plywood cabinet.

dave

And here you see how clever use of dadoes can make it look like some marquetry was done.

bamboo speakers.jpg

That's some nice work, did you build those?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.