• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help complete the 300B schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Currently have a Karna-type amplifier running for a year or so now. Interested in losing the first IT and ideally going DC coupled. Power supplies might limit me somewhat, however.

Care to fill in the missing pieces with your recommendations? Not opposed to using DN2540 current sources, but space is limited, even for making -Vcc supplies. I can add them if they really help improve the performance.

Attachments

• 300b.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 300
Hi Kurt,

How about replacing the input transformer with a LL1674 for a 1:4 step up, the first tube with something with a bunch of gain (6sl7 perhaps) then DC couple to a pair of mosfet source followers. You can use a servo to keep the sources at a pretty similar voltage allowing them to drive the interstage transformer. Indeed, with a decent servo, you could replace the interstage transformer with a high level 600 ohm type (Cinemag CMOQ-1H for instance), or even one with a bit of step-up (run it at 150:600) if you want more gain.

-d

Not the worst idea; I have considered going with a power drive type of circuit, though I would probably remove the IT and go direct to the 300b grid.

Real happy with my Tribute input tranny, so that will stay. Perfect gain and phase balance up to 100 kHz; quite amazing, really. I tried to keep the step up to a minimum in order to keep preamp drive requirements to a minimum; at present I have a high pass RC network (not shown) which imposes some load on the pre.

I have determined the sound improvements for this specific amp are had by installing a Lundahl OPT and getting rid of the first IT. Ideally I want to DC couple the first and second stages.

Ideally I want to DC couple the first and second stages.
I would use the same tube for both. The 6H30 is very good for this because it works happily down to low plate voltages (about 75-80V/5-6mA with 27K to 39K anode resistor, for example ) so you don't need to have high supply voltage.
230-260V total supply voltage should be enough. Then it's more about finding the right combination for the best sound.
You don't need to buy expensive 6H30P-DR pre-1986 versions, the Sovtek EB version or the EH gold pin are very good....

One of the best solution, in my opinion, is to use a Sowter 3575 OCC version; it is 1:1CT.
It is configurable for use as bal/bal or bal/unbal.
I don't suggest to use a step up input transformer because may be possible to meet trouble to the connection with the source.

Reagarding the 6H30 I don't sugget the use at low voltage; the value written are not correct.
For my experience the best sound with this tube is obtained with 10 mA minimumof anode current (better with 15 mA) at 200 Vdc (max), this mean about 10k on anode.
With the 300B the only solution to dc connection between the stages is the use of negative rail for driver circuit.

Ciao

Walter

Joined 2008
Reagarding the 6H30 I don't sugget the use at low voltage; the value written are not correct.

I am afraid I just use it this way (input + cathodine splitter) and it works very well. With 80V/6 mA you have approx. -4V bias which is enough for an input tube. It is more linear than an ECC88 in same conditions and has less problems with grid current (my 6H30's have got gold plated grids). Maybe the tubes you have are not so good....

Last edited:

Joined 2008
With the 300B the only solution to dc connection between the stages is the use of negative rail for driver circuit.

Ciao

Walter

He is not asking for a dc driver. This amplifier has got two interstage transformers + input phase splitter. He just wants to get rid of the first interstage between the input stage and the driver stage. The driver uses the remaining IT to drive the 300B. So if you have 2 6H30's in cascade (one at the input and dc coupled to the other) you just need about 260V total supply, 75-80V for the input and 165-170V for the driver.

Right, just looking to DC couple the first and second stages. Currently, the first stage is using the 6N6P, which isn't all that different from the 6H30 (a lot less money tho). I have also considered the triode-connected 6W6 for the driver stage- currently using 46, which is fine too. The 6W6 can operate a little better at the lower voltages.

So I can either put CCS in the input tail and/or as plate loads, DC couple to the driver, which may or may not have CCS in the tail. That DC coupling has its challenges with idle conditions is no secret; any experience with good control without servos?

Zigzagflux,

How about making a direct reactance drive type of input/driver stage?
You can use the primary of the first IT as centertapped plate choke for the 6H6; the 6H6 is direct coupled to the driver tube grid.
You can run this stage on the same power supply voltage as the 300B power stage, which makes power supply things easier.
Thanks by the way for the kind words on the input transformers.

Pieter

If you have any 3a5 you may be surprised at how good they sound. I intend to try out 3a5 direct coupled into 1J6 transformer coupled to 2a3 outputs, all balanced. Not that there are not better single DHTs, but dual DHTs are a space saving option.

For the perfect 300b in push pull, I have no doubt that I would use 26 direct coupled to 10Y transformer coupled to 300b. In fact that's what I have planned for my ultimate SE amp.

andy

Currently, the first stage is using the 6N6P, which isn't all that different from the 6H30 (a lot less money tho).

It is different. Especially at low voltage and low current. The 6N6 is not as linear as the 6H30. If this costs too much for you than I would rather use an ECC88 as input tube which is very close to the 6H30 in this application.
The advantage of using the same tube for both input and driver is that you can easily cancel out that small residual amount of 2nd order HD at medium and low levels. This also works well with other tubes, of course. I have got it easily also with 6SN7's, for example. When you have different devices (of the same type) is still possible but not so easy. If you mix triodes and pentodes it's more a matter of luck..!!!

So I can either put CCS in the input tail and/or as plate loads, DC couple to the driver, which may or may not have CCS in the tail. That DC coupling has its challenges with idle conditions is no secret; any experience with good control without servos?

I would just use one CCS in the tail of the input stage (or no CCS at all and try with a 500R pot between the cathodes at the input to balance the gain a little bit).
I find CCS's useful in applications like long tail phase splitters or where I need to swing a lot of volts (not to drive power tubes) but honestly don't like them everywhere....
On the second stage you will need more than 4K cathode resistor for each driver (about 4K7 if you have 80-90V anode voltage for the input tube and want the driver to run at 19-20 mA, for instance) and thus can use a nice and good 22-33 uF 250V polypropilene cap.

Last edited:
Normally I check all the tubes I use with my personal Sofia and I assure you that the 6H30 at low voltage/low current is not the best solution both for technical and audio performances.
One of the most important thing to take attention, in my opinion, is the "headroom" of the stage; I mean to check in which way the stage change its distortion for different input level. For 6H30 you must have a high curent and ( relative) high voltage to have a reasonable distortion.

Ciao

Walter

Normally I check all the tubes I use with my personal Sofia and I assure you that the 6H30 at low voltage/low current is not the best solution both for technical and audio performances.
One of the most important thing to take attention, in my opinion, is the "headroom" of the stage; I mean to check in which way the stage change its distortion for different input level. For 6H30 you must have a high curent and ( relative) high voltage to have a reasonable distortion.

Ciao

Walter

If you take the curves (spanning from 0 to 300V and from 0 to 50 ma, for example) you won't have the accuracy to establish what happens at low current. It also depends on scanning and the precision of the instrument. In few words it's just like what you see on datasheets.
You are assuring something you don't know. Actually you are completely missing the point. The required headroom for the input stage is 5-6 Vrms in this case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.