Help building sub Box, Easy question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 16 by 30 inch wood pieces. Can I take 4 pieces of 30 by 16 for front , back , top and bottom ? Then take a 16 by 16 for the sides and they will all fit together ? .75 thick....... So I take the front and back pieces and they sit on the bottom piece ? or flush with the bottom piece ? This is main question on where to place the wood pieces to fit niceley ? If the front and back sit on the bottom piece do I subtract .75 from the front and backs width of 16 so 15.25 cause they sit on the bottom sheet so to keep hight at 16 I do this ? This is where I am lost....... Can you give me the measurements as I have .75 thick wood at 16 inches by 30 inches long. I want a 3.5 volume box , if you can do 3.0 and 3.5 and a 4.0 box measurements of the 6 pieces I need to cut out that would help allot.They recommend 1.5 per sub and I have 2 subs But I want a SPL box and a aero port. Basically all I need help with is how the pieces fit together and where they sit ???

Also can a 3.5 volume hurt it if recommended at a 3.0 ? I seen some huge boxes for small speakers with huge ports and they bang.

Thanks Guys And Girls ,I'm new to it but if I know how they should sit next to each other then I should be good. Some have the front piece not sitting on the bottom piece but some do. I need all the 6 pieces to sit together well all I want for my first build.....

Allot here but again my main question is how do they all fit together and where so they all sit. Maybe explaining where the nails/staples go will help me know the placement better also.....
. I hope it's understood what I am asking here

GM

Joined 2003
If two sides, top, bottom are the same 16 x 30, the side panels will need to be 16 x 14.5 assuming 0.75 thickness, consequently the 30 side is reduced to 28.5. It will only go together one way.

Internal volume [Vb] = 16 x 14.5 x 28.5 = 6612 cu in/1728 = ~3.8264 ft^3, though once you subtract out the the driver, vent Vb it will be acoustically smaller, but with no driver, tuning information, no clue how much to deduct.

With the math shown, you can work out larger cabs as if needed.

At worst, over-sizing a cab just means more stuffing may be required if it 'booms' too much and preferable to being too small.

GM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.