Help Building La Scala, Belle Speakers (or other recommended horn speaker)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the last few months, I have been considering building either a La Scala, Belle or other similar horn based speaker. I would be open to other horn speakers builts/designs that forum members think sound better than the La Scala or Bella speakers. I was wondering if any forum members would share their speaker builds with me. This is the first time I have tried to build a horn type speaker and would appreciate any help or guidance. Thank You Greg Edwards

PS- Anyone in the Missouri or Northern Arkansas that build speakers?

although many may be biased towards PWK as a god (rightfully), be sure to register at Klipsch forums and ask at Technical/Modifications.

Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

Belle has a pretty aspect. Both LS and Belle have short 1/4 wave throat to mouth paths.

Look at my Peavey FH1 which is like Belle only 24" deep rather than 18" 2pi response. Although
it rolls off as expected below 110Hz, it would play reasonably flat in some rooms t0 60Hz

4ca8a220_fh1peavey.jpeg

Other folded horn such as Cerwin Vega's AB36 and Vitavox Thunderbolt packed more 1/4 wave length in a given bulk than the bifurcated "W" bins. That said, W-bin type seem to play smooth. (I have a custom design 12" midbass horn by RCA-Fan/Bill Woods which is much like a CV in expansion aspect)

The late "DJK" (Dennis Kleitsch) introduced a vented back chamber mod for La Scala which utilized the upper compartment containing LS/s K400 & K77 horns.

University's old "Classic", if well braced, should be a very good folded horn but is quite large. It could be scaled to a 12" and work well with a subwoofer below 80Hz or so.

John Inlow I believe feels folded horn have too much coloration. He offers plans for relatively small straight midbass horns including a 135Hz horn driven by B&C/s. 8PE21 8 inch speaker.

inlowsound.com

David McBean's brilliant and FREE program "hornresp" is your friend with horn and other type.

My bias leans towards keeping the old Karlson concepts alive and am limited to Edgarhorn 100/Monolith, Klipschorn, EV Sentry IV, a scaled University Classic, 12" RCA-Fan horn and Peavey FH1 (like a 2 foot deep Belle) as horn experience for opinions.

What amplifiers do you typically use? Which horns might you use or build for midrange? - How about the tweeter horn if a basic Klipsch style 3-way like Belle/LS? (I think PRV's B&C clone round tweeter might be very good for $50)

I really think one could take a $35 PRV phenolic driver, $50 tweeter, find a 15 for under $100 and come up with a decent LS/Belle cheap other than sourcing the midhorn. (Altec 511 and 811 would work for LS/Belle respectively)

Last edited:
Here's an old discussion

Should I build University Classic or La Scalas? - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

IF you have space, then the University Classic might be one of your best bets for a good horn.

University also had the "Dean" - "cornerless cornerhorn" - its path was shorter so horn action cutoff higher.

The Classic is much like wall version of the Klipschorn.

Like other horn, depending upon driver characteristics, the back chamber volume may be reduced, flattening out
the passband, and reducing driver excursion below cutoff. (at the expense of some LF extension, and a higher order rolloff)

Last edited:
Fred thanks so much for the great information. You gave me a lot to think about and research. I had never heard of the University Classic Speaker. It is a very interesting speaker. I have both solid-state and tube amps. I understand the tube amps are better with the La Scala type speakers. Thanks so much for your kind help. I might have further questions as I move forward with a speaker. THANKS. Greg

Indigent Audio- I appreciate your thoughts regarding the Altec and jbl. In the little research I have done so far it looks like the Altec model 16 is a good speaker. Again thanks for your KIND help. Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.