Help analysing the Graph Plots for my design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you thought of accomodating the enclosure in something else to enable a bigger internal volume? I know everything we do is a compromise because of "her indoors";) but sometimes a little ingenuity goes a long way-have seen subs built to go under/in sofas, make coffee tables, sideboards etc so have a good look in the room it's going in and see what extra space you can eek out..

interesting read Chris, but trying to stay as simple as..

Here's what i got with a 43.2L box,
no fill.. Qtc 0.867, QL 6.643, F3 50.78
typical fill.. Qtc 0.786, QL 6.643, F3 52.94
Heavy fill Qtc 0.708, QL same, F3 55.97

url]

Well, glad to say my first build is becoming more of a reality.
Just got myself some power tools. 500w Impact Drill 350w Jigsaw 135w Sheet Sander 4.8v Cordless Screwdriver (including 10 screwdriver bits and a bit holder) Folding work bench. All for the princely sum
Of £26.... Hopefully they last long enugh.

Bargin, will order one-if the becnh is any good? I got a cheapo from wilko's and it collapsed like a tin-can with any weight/pressure!

P.S any comments on posts #25/26

Looks to me to roll off too early for my tastes-even in a car (my normal arena) that would be too high-what is it predicting F3 at before room interactions?

EDIT: just read the response listed in #24:

With room gain you're getting down to 40Hz F3? Should be ok, low E on a bass guitar is 42Hz IIRC, so if you don't listen to anything with much lower bass/movies with it you'll be fine.

Last edited:
With room gain you're getting down to 40Hz F3? Should be ok, low E on a bass guitar is 42Hz IIRC, so if you don't listen to anything with much lower bass/movies with it you'll be fine.
With standard A 440 Hz tuning:
The low E note on a four string bass is 41.2034 Hz.
Five string basses are probably as least as common as four string basses now, the low B note on a 5 string bass is 30.8677.

40 Hz just don't "git er done" anymore ;).

Thanks for the info:) As said, I'd always aim for lower-but then I listen to some dubstep/DnB:eek:

If you listen to dubstep and dnb and electronica, you might even want to aim lower than 30. Just as a fun example, here's a frequency analysis of Porter Robinson - Spitfire. There's a ton of energy in this song that just throbs through your body down real low that you'd be missing.

Attachments

• spitfire.jpg
    spitfire.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Nice track, though not as low as others-search for Skrillex and check the FA on his sets-down to under 3Hz:)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My car is flat to 20, before EQ:)

My home system, in the process of piecing together, will have some B139 in a tappered TL and flat from 20-80 (before room interaction) and some heavy weight floor standers will take from 80> (possible lower-haven't finalised it yet).

I'm from a car audio background, where sub bass is very important to a large number of people-different goals for most when compared to home audio-and why we're so frowned upon by some of the Hi-Fi fraternity...

Nice track, though not as low as others-search for Skrillex and check the FA on his sets-down to under 3Hz:)

My car is flat to 20, before EQ:)

My home system, in the process of piecing together, will have some B139 in a tappered TL and flat from 20-80 (before room interaction) and some heavy weight floor standers will take from 80> (possible lower-haven't finalised it yet).

I'm from a car audio background, where sub bass is very important to a large number of people-different goals for most when compared to home audio-and why we're so frowned upon by some of the Hi-Fi fraternity...

Yeah, some of that stuff is pretty wild too, Distance, Burial, Skrillex, Nero. I like having a room full of subs that can keep up with sudden bouts of attenuatoritis ;)

Ain't gaphs amazing!!!

Regarding the bench. Well it came as flat pack and had to piece it together, must say the parts do feel extremely flimsy when finally put together does feel marginally rigid. Building doesn't start till next week. I would say if you need the other tools go for it. If you only need the bench spend elsewhere.

About going Low, well my aim was to use any technique or magic dust (excluding external EQ) to go as low as I can get with compact box.. Fair play I didn't look for a sub that works better in a compact enclosure as budget was at a limit, so I just got the first thing that I saw on ...bay. I do promise to Go as low as 20 or lower on my next build.
Mr TBG. I do have a Infinity Reference 1240w laying around. Whould that been a better choice.

Interns of music. I am from the Caribbean so Dancehall, Reggae, Soca is my main thing but I do have a wide taste.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.