hello

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just thought it was about time i registered. ive been browsing the forum for some time now.

about myself: i am a recent college graduate with a degree in industrial maintenance. i currently work as a machinist/maintenance/do it all guy at small company that makes springs, pneumatic tools, and cnc parts. i have been into diy hifi for a few years now.

why i am here: to be among others like me, who think about this stuff constantly. i am also in the middle of a massive diy turntable project (ladegaard arm, massive alu. plinth, air/teflon/oil bearing platter..........)

it sure is nice to be here.

Sorry, no photos yet....

Thoughts on the TT:
So far everything is machined from the solid. Most all parts were made from scraps donated to the college i attended. Platter- 1in thick, D2 tool steel. Plinth- two layers 1.5in & 1in 6061-T6 alum. with .25in sorbothane inbetween. Ladegaard arm air rail- 1.5in sq. x 15in. D2 tool steel. Bearing- unipivot w/ .5 in ball bearing centered in platter w/ three teflon contact points located at the equator, lower portion filled w/ oil to above equator. platter rides on air otherwise. Platter and air rail surface ground to .00015 in. flat. That's all right now.....working on the arm carriage and arm presently. considering teres motor. I'm also looking for suitable air pumps for both the arm and platter....any ideas. I also would like some cartridge recommends.

XaQ

Yes, i realized this after i started doing some research. However, D2 has very high Cr content and loses much of its magnetic properties after it is hardened (so iv'e been told).The main reason I used the D2 was because it was available and i could grind it extremely flat for the air bearing. If it does become a problem i can use a thick piece of pvc or abs over it, or just make a new platter entirely. This is my first diy TT, so there were many design changes along the way. I do not plan for it to be my last either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.