Hello Everyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings Everyone,

Been lurking around these forums for a couple of weeks and decided to join. Lots of really interesting discussions here. I'm from New Jersey, been an electrical engineer for 25 years or so doing digital design (ASIC, FPGA), software, signal processing. I grew up learning electronics with tubes alongside my dad who was a ham (recently got my ticket as well at 47 yrs).

Of all the technology I've been using over the years, the most interesting is vacuum tubes. Don't know why, just is. I've done lots of electronics "hobbying" over the years (solid state power amplifiers, preamps, speakers), but didn't do much with tubes until recently. I have some (what I consider) reasonably good audiophile grade (solid state) stereo equipment: Halfer DH200 power amp, DH101 preamp, Allison One speakers.

But all the talk about SE DHT amps got be intrigued. I decided to try something simple to see what the hubub was. I dug through my junk boxes and found some parts to throw together a 6SL7 -> 46 (triode strapped) SE mono amp and drove it directly with a CD player. Not very loud (about 1 watt or so) but my God, vocals seemed magical. Maureen McGovern gave me goose bumps. OK, I'm sold. I'm planning on something more substantial using 845's to give me 10 - 15 watts / channel. Can't wait. I'm already collecting parts but don't have a final design yet.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to participating in the discussions. I'll probably hang out mostly on the Tubes forum for now.

Cheers!
gerry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.