heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings One and all

I'am a complete newbie to DIY electronic, thus the Grasshopper. I'am taking a stab at building a 25 watt SON and wondering if any one has a cheap source for heatsinks in the eastern Canada area or further afield if need be. I know it will require massive amounts of HS.
Homebrewed designs are most welcome.

It's not an amplifier...it's a space heater that makes music. That's part of why I've got the SOZ w/current sources thread going. Dreadfully inefficient.
Good thing that winter's coming on--at least here in the Northern hemisphere. (Just ask me if I love having a pair of Alephs and a pair of tube amps to help warm up my listening room.)

Grey

alright i'll accept this...it just shocked me initially...i knew it was inefficient, but wow....my aleph 4's dissipate almost 600W and as i said, 2 of these heatsinks is plenty.....so you're saying for 10, you're dissipating roughly 3000W? 25W out, 3000W dissipated?

i think that defines horribly inefficient....

;)

you have 12 devices per 17" length right?

that means you have roughly 2 devices for each 3 inch length....

that's 48W...the Rjc is 0.83, Rcs is 0.2 and the Rsa for each 3 inch length is 0.8. So 48W * (0.83 + 0.2 + 0.8) = about 88 degrees difference between ambient and junction temperature....thats perfectly ok! It's actually a bit better than this as the 48W per 3" length aren't centered at one particular point and are spread pretty much evenly over the 3 inches....

jduncan

How do you get Rcs (R case to sink) at 0.2C/W?
When you need to electrically isolate the FET from the sink reaching 0.2C/W is quite a challenge. Readely available materials such as mica with silicon grease or silicon pads will not come close. BeO, Kapton are very hard to come by.

In practice I can get 0.5 to 0.6C/W with mica and silicon grease. In your example this would mean very hot sinks and probaly a short lifespan for the amplifier, or am I missing something?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.