Heatsinks for LM4780 in dual mono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The datasheet for the LM4870 is quite nice...it really does spell things out pretty explicitly, what is giving you trouble?

The chip is designed to dissipate heat, and the amount of heat it must dissipate depends on how much power you are trying to push through the chip (which is a function of supply voltage, load, etc).

The junction temperature should not rise above 150 degC. So use equation 2 to calculate Pdmax. Then you can use equation 4 to calculate THETAsa. Buy a heatsink that has less thermal resistance than THETAsa, and you're all set. (small thermal resistance = heat flows easily = large thermal dissipation)

Many people just buy a big honking heatsink. An oversized heatsink won't hurt anything.

The datasheet for the LM4870 is quite nice...it really does spell things out pretty explicitly, what is giving you trouble?

The chip is designed to dissipate heat, and the amount of heat it must dissipate depends on how much power you are trying to push through the chip (which is a function of supply voltage, load, etc).

The junction temperature should not rise above 150 degC. So use equation 2 to calculate Pdmax. Then you can use equation 4 to calculate THETAsa. Buy a heatsink that has less thermal resistance than THETAsa, and you're all set. (small thermal resistance = heat flows easily = large thermal dissipation)

Many people just buy a big honking heatsink. An oversized heatsink won't hurt anything.

Ok thanks :) i've given it a go but still find it confusing, when you say an oversized heatsink, what size would that be haha? i am using 35v rails and 8ohm speakers, i was going to buy some 300mm x 40mm x 80mm heatsinks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.