heatsinks for aleph 2.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I picked up some aluminum heatsinks today from Austin Electronics, a electronics surplus store north of Atlanta, GA today. The dimensions are:

8" x 9" x 2.6"
baseplate - 1/4" thick
19 fins - 8" long x 1/8" thick each

Will these work good for the Aleph 2? Would one work for a channel? or should I use 2, with 6 mosfets on each?

Here are some pictures. I sized them down quite a bit. Hopefully they are not too big.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you are in the Atlanta Area, if you call them, they can get more in. They cost $24 each. It is north of the city on 85, off Jimmy Carter. Here is their contact information:

AUSTIN ELECTRONICS
6050 CENTER PL NW, NORCROSS, GA 30093, (770) 449-8697

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
4 of these per channel, with 3 mosfets per heatsink? Isn't that overkill?

I was figuring that I would use 2 heatsinks per channel, with 6 mosfets on each. Does this sound like it would work?

They also have heatsinks that are about 12x14x1.5 I figured that they would not work as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on heatsinks, with regard to what they used for their designs?

--
Brian
gte619j@prism.gatech.edu

Brian,

I reckon each of your sinks is ~0.5 C/W.
Comparing the profile to the Wakefield extrusion catalogue the nearest match was 0.75C/W (3" length) but yours have slightly deeper fins.
So, conservatively, yours will at least as good and then adding the length factor of ~ 0.7x for an 8" lenght cf. a 3" length gives ~0.5C/W overall.

Now you can figure out how many you want. I don't know the aleph 2 rating but 4 heatsinks for 200W will give you a 25C rise. On top of that you must consider the device junction to heatsink rise (spreading the power between more devices helps).

Regards
13 Duke of Wymbourne

Brian,

just checked Aleph2 and the standing dissipation is 300W per channel (for 100W output). With 12x output devices that's 25W each. The junction to sink thermal resistance will be at least 1 C/W (depends on insulating pad)- let's assume 1.5C/W then each device junction will be 38C hotter than the sink.
If the total sinking (4 pieces) is ~0.125C/W then the sink will be 38C hotter than ambient. So, for an ambient temperature of 20C the device junctions will be at ~96C.
96C is acceptable but lower is always better for both longevity and performance (MOSFET gain decreases as temperature rises).

Regards
13DoW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.