Heatsinks - Canadian source?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I need to find a good quality somewhat large heatsink (11" x 6" x 1").. I could get what I want from Heatsink USA, but to ship to Canada they want $40 to ship a $20 heatsink! Ugh..

Anyone have any other suggestions? Perhaps a source in Canada.. I've been scouring ebay, but it's hard to know what the quality is like, and also to actually find exactly what I need.

Where are you located? There are several electronics stores on Matheson, just West of Dixie in Mississagua. They may have what you are looking for. I may be going there tomorrow so could let you know if you give me an idea what exactly his are looking for. Post or send me a link to the ones you saw in US.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Doing Google searches nets some stuff but it's inconclusive. Mersen in Mississauga has large heatsinks but what I saw on their catalog index is specialty stuff that probably costs quite a bit.

The phone is probably your best bet. Call industrial electronics supply places in the burbs and ask around 'til you get a hit , is how I'd do it.

In my repair shop I accumulated a number of stereo amplifiers/receivers the customer declined the estimate on. I strip them down for salvage, and they usually have some sort of heat sink. Have you considered salvaging a heat sink assembly from a dead receiver?

In my repair shop I accumulated a number of stereo amplifiers/receivers the customer declined the estimate on. I strip them down for salvage, and they usually have some sort of heat sink. Have you considered salvaging a heat sink assembly from a dead receiver?

I've been attempting to find a salvaged heatsink.. But haven't been able to find the right size anywhere.. This heatsink will be fairly visually prominent on the amp, so I want it to look nice, no sharp edges, no gouges, clamp marks, etc.. And with an anodized finish.

I've come to terms with the price of a good heatsink, and so at this point I would gladly just pay the shipping from Heatsink USA, but I've discovered that they can't offer anodized heatsinks.. They'll ship it to another vendor to have it anodized, but that sounds like it could get complicated.. Though I will still investigate this route..

Anyone know of a shop in the US that this could be shipped to for anodizing (who would then ship it to me)? Hopefully someone that is fine with small orders like this.

I've also been in communication with Fischer Elektronik, as they have some nice profiles that I like.. They can definitely offer the type of Heatsink I need, and they can do a "decorative" finish, as well as anodizing.. but they are starting to look much more expensive than heatsink USA..

Anyways, I appreciate the info so far.

Where are you located? There are several electronics stores on Matheson, just West of Dixie in Mississagua. They may have what you are looking for. I may be going there tomorrow so could let you know if you give me an idea what exactly his are looking for. Post or send me a link to the ones you saw in US.

Damn, I didn't see this in time. I'm in Manitoba. I appreciate the offer. Let me know if you're going back again some time. I'm looking for 12" x 6" x 1", and I don't care which direction the fins run. Though as I mentioned, I am concerned about visual finish on the product.

Last edited:
Couple of points that may help :)
Horizontal fin orientation is a Much less effective radiator than vertical fins,
Also: a Height dimension increase needs be 4X ! to equal a 1X ! width dimension increase.. for the same heat dissipation ability.
Have the sinks bead blasted to remove 'blemishes' and change the ali colour to soft white (ish).
Simple spray on flat black paint is almost as good as Anodizing for heat transference.
Anodising, can be done anywhere, even in Canada ;)
Heatsink usa's 1 inch deep fins versions are IMO a wee bit thin Fin wise to be an ideal heat radiator.
Depends on what heat your needing to deal with on your build though.
Only you can deduce if it's problematic.. or not.

This heatsink will actually be mounted flat on the top plate of an amplifier, so I don't think vertical vs. horizontal fins will matter. In any case the profile I'm looking at with HeatsinkUSA is vertical fins with a thickness of 1.3" from bottom of the base to top of the fins (0.3" base thickness).

I've also contacted a place I've dealt with in the past for some stuff who will accept the shipment and anodize it for me and then ship it to me.

Just trying to work out some of the machining details now.. I'd like to get threaded holes put into the base, so that it's easier to mount to the chassis.

This heatsink will actually be mounted flat on the top plate of an amplifier, so I don't think vertical vs. horizontal fins will matter. In any case the profile I'm looking at with HeatsinkUSA is vertical fins with a thickness of 1.3" from bottom of the base to top of the fins (0.3" base thickness).

I've also contacted a place I've dealt with in the past for some stuff who will accept the shipment and anodize it for me and then ship it to me.

Just trying to work out some of the machining details now.. I'd like to get threaded holes put into the base, so that it's easier to mount to the chassis.

hi there
what size after?
i have a number of used sinks in great shape that i would be glad to sell you.
pm me with your details
i'm in new brunswick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.