Heatsink at 2SJ109 in Aleph J

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody use a heatsink at 2SJ109 in Aleph J. For me it looks like this device is getting pretty hot. In the closed case with ambient temperature inside 45C the transistor case temperature reaches 70C after 1 hour. I guess junction temperature is 75-80C. Or is it OK?
I'm using PCBs from Peter Daniel where 2SJ109 is pretty close to R5 which is getting quite hot.

Additionally what was the reason to connect R5 to negative rail? It could be connected to the ground with a value of 1.7K to get the same current through the zener but the power dissipation could be three timer lower at that resistor.

Last edited:
I've changed R5 to 2.2k connected to the ground. As the result I got about 7C temperature drop on JFET case (from 70C to 63C in Peter Daniel's PCB) and C4 (before C4 could give a skin burn when touched). No any changes in the ripple of CCS and therefore in amplifier performance was discovered. So, highly recommended.

As promised.

Patrick

Attachments

• 100911 J109 Heatsink.JPG
    100911 J109 Heatsink.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 271
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.