• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heathkit W 5M output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all...

I have a couple Peerless output transformers I acquired years ago
that came from Heathkit W5M amps.

I am wondering if there is a way I can test them to ensure that they are operable
with only a DVM.

It seems a shame to have them sitting on a shelf and I would like to know if they work
so I can use or sell them.

BTW, they have been painted black, so I am not sure which model number of Peerless they are.

Thanks in advance for your help!

G

Joined 2002
You can go to Radio Shack and get a small 12v transformer. Hook up the 12 volt secondary of that transformer across the entire primary of the output transformer and then measure the voltage you get across each tap on the secondary of the output transformer. If you get close to the same reading through both transformers I would say that they are probably good. Or you can just test for continuity across the primary and the secondary of each output transformer. If you get continuity through both sides of both transformers I would say that they are probably good. Those are some pretty substancial transformers. I would bet that they are just fine.

Thanks for the reply....

I tested across the secondaries on both and got continuity but am
unsure what I am testing on the primary side. I don't seem to be getting
continuity. Should I be testing between the center tap and one side or some
other combination?:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.