• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heat shrink tubes for transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone.
I recall reading somewhere that heat shrink tubes should not be used as insulation for wire input/output in transformer windings.
I forgot the reason why.

Could anyone refresh my mind or point a reference I can look up?
Thank you.
Do you mean say for use the own primary/secondary wires as leads?
It seems a good idea IMO as will be one less connection/solder in the signal path.
Anyway Iam curious for the reason.

For the little I know the leads wires are soldered direct in the primary/secondary winding.
tst200-112.jpg

Well, it could. But I was talking about the use as insulation for the ends of the enammel wires, from the winding to the place where they are soldered to the output leads.

More commonly they use braided non-expandable polyester sleeving for the strain reliefs on toroid trafo leads. I had no problem finding it in Mouser once I figured out how to find it in their database. The silicone-coated version can get expensive but you only need to buy one roll in your career.

I used them in my trafos, with little/no problem, but my doubt is what happen when, supporting trafo's heat, if it degrades chemically, becomes conductive or corrodes enamel.

Heat shrink is a polyolefin, no corrosive products, but it might split under continous heat as its shrinks further and embrittles/fails. Silicone rubber sleeving may be a more robust alternative, retaining mechanical properties on heating for extended periods. I know large magnetic components (motors/generators/transformers) use materials like Nomex for their insulation, which is mechanically tough and heat resistant. (Nomex is related to kevlar)

Heat shrink is a polyolefin, no corrosive products, but it might split under continous heat as its shrinks further and embrittles/fails.

Yes, I think that was the reason. Thanks!

More commonly they use braided non-expandable polyester sleeving for the strain reliefs on toroid trafo leads.

wg's sleeving is good stuff, and you are going to wind more tape/paper around the whole thing, which will keep the sleeving in place.

Yes. I have polyester tubes for a couple of diameters. It is what I use to insulate the enamel wire as it enters and exists the winding from/to the external leads. Don't you guys do the same?

The question about using heat shrink tubes instead, is because it is easier and cheaper to find for any diameter.

Yes. I have polyester tubes for a couple of diameters. It is what I use to insulate the enamel wire as it enters and exists the winding from/to the external leads. Don't you guys do the same?

Exactly. Most of the transformers I have purchased over the years came that way, and when I add extra secondary windings (frequently) i always use it.

The question about using heat shrink tubes instead, is because it is easier and cheaper to find for any diameter.

Trafos that I’ve acquired that don’t use the polyester sleeves use NON-shrink plastic tubing over bare magnet wires for the leads. I don’t really like that arrangement because it can’t go directly to a spade lug or Molex connector. It is tougher than heat shrink, and it’s ok that it doesn’t fit snugly because the end closest to the trafo gets held in place with the over-wrap tape, same as the polyester tubes. I suppose one could still use it if they soldered leads to the magnet wire. Anything is better than nothing, but it’s always best to stick with industry best practices in case there is ever a question of safety of some home brew concoction.

Trafos that I’ve acquired that don’t use the polyester sleeves use NON-shrink plastic tubing over bare magnet wires for the leads.

What about the thin magnet wires? Let's say, thinner than 0.3 mm (diameter). Just covering with any kind of insulation tubing seems not very dependable.

When you say that you can’t go directly to a spade lug or Molex connector, is it because of this?

With really thin wire you really need to solder on regular flexible leads, and then secure the connection to them in some way. Thin single strand wire fatigues easily, and it’s not easy to connect to things.

Stranded wire in general, is easier to put crimp or solder terminations on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.