Health issues, family with health issues impacting you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
[optician mode]

Specific adaptation: I got my new prescription (hint of astig) made with a 1.75 ADD, to focus at 24 inches, my PC eye-monitor distance. I keep these at the PC. I need the distance correction. For reading text the small astig fix helps.

Virtually everyone over 35 or so would have a better quality of life to some degree if they would follow that advice. However, getting most folks to purchase a task-specific pair of glasses is nearly impossible.

YES, get $1 reading specs!! You were losing accommodation before, now you have none of your own, that fancy 2-step for general life,

Unfortunately, with Steve's "modified monovision", readers would need to be made with different R & L powers.

It cost me a small fortune, but my current prescription with state of the art Zeiss optics is just phenomenally good. I can now see like a child through a giant picture window as if it wasn't there.

Indeed, the newest generation of progressive multifocal lenses are significantly better than older designs. These designs exist strictly as algorithms rather than steel molds that used in designs of the past, and allow customization previously known as science fiction.
The CNC machinery required to process the new designs is a seven-figure investment, rather than the $20k-$50k machinery that was previously state of the art. Thus the high price.

Besides, if you are now glasses free, it is a really great idea to wear protective goggles when doing soldering or being active in your workshop.

Absolutely. Working in the yard, workshop, workbench, lab, etc. Again, virtually no one listens to us professionals about this until it's too late.

[/optician mode]

Definitely not monovision - More like a bi-focal in each eye, one with a bias for distance and intermediate and one set for intermediate and near. Some folks still need glasses for very fine work but it looks like i'll get away without that. So I get all the benefit of multifocal IOL but without any of the side effects that commonly effect people such as glare halos reduced contrast difficult with night driving etc. Much better that all the other extended depth of focus lenses being offered.

LENTIS Comfort Intraocular lenses

Pretty much the current no brainer for most people with otherwise healthy eyes.
Will need new safety glasses for work and new sunnies but no prescription for either. New driving licence with Photo ID without glasses too once my eyes are a bit less bloodshot.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to see her surgeon, two weeks after her second mastectomy. Turns out there were two large masses of precancerous material that had to be removed - meaning that the second mastectomy was an inevitability. There were also two lymph nodes that were removed for cellular examination. They were found to be completely free of any signs of cancerous activity.

This means my wife has been cured of cancer.

We celebrated by having our first normal day in years. We ate at a local deli, chatted with friends, delivered Christmas cards, and on a whim, went to a charity shop and my wife bought a sweater to show off her new flat chest.

She has changed. She looks better and she feels better, and I feel a lot better too. As soon as her wound has completely healed and she has regained some of her upper arm strength, she will have her long awaited hip replacement.

Anyway, what I would like to say is thank you all for allowing me the opportunity to offer at least some help for those trying to care for their loved ones. It ain't easy, but it doesn't need a gold medal to do it - just be there and hang in.

As an aside, and as you all can most probably tell, I like to write. I have also become rather adept at reading out loud to my wife every night at bedtime, often for an hour or more until she finally falls asleep. I read novels, biographies, anthologies of poetry, books on philosophy, and lots and lots of humorous doggerel off the Internet. I love getting inside the characters from novels, and reading prose with the timing and rhythm in which it was written. When somebody is seriously ill, the outside world is often all too chaotic to process properly, and words spoken by a loved one can create an inner world that becomes a sanctuary free of pain or distress. It is also very enjoyable and creates much happiness both for (and between!) the reader and listener.

I'm taking a break from diyAudio for awhile, but have kept my subscription to this thread so as to keep in touch.

Keep warm, dry and eat well over the weeks ahead. And remember, today is the day of the winter solstice. After today, the days get longer and lighter. It always the light that penetrates the darkness. Just keep going, that's all we can do.

ToS

My only scare has been suspected prostate cancer but after a MRI scan they said the prostate was just enlarged but benign.

I too was diagnosed with a benign enlarged prostate earlier this year. It had been bothering me since my late teens. As you do, I thought it was normal. Came as a bit of a shock. Anyways, hormone treatment has worked really well for me, and I can now get a full nights sleep without going to the bathroom twice or thrice a night.

Like Jan says, it's common, and if you are over 60, get a check up just to make sure. Another good reason not to smoke or drink.

I stopped drinking four years ago to this very day. Being sober is nice - really subtle, and amazing how much there is to remember ..........

ToS

What hormone treatment is that? I got to go at least twice per night...

BTW If you do regular blood checks, ask them to include a check for PSA level (Prostate Specific Antigen). If it is higher than a threshold concentration, time to have a serious prostate check.

Jan

Finasteride 5mg once a day. Takes about 3 months before the prostate starts to shrink. After 6 months, everything about the male plumbing starts to work properly. The Finasteride overstimulates the production of testosterone, and that in turn causes the male body to compensate by producing oestrogen, and it is the oestrogen that causes the endocrine system to shrink the prostate.

My PSA level was normal, but the digital examination showed that the prostate, although nicely symmetrical and free of obvious tumours, was enlarged.

I recommend that every male over the age of 55 should get clued up on all matters to do with the prostate, for as like breast cancer with women, prostate cancer kills an awful lot of men who don't get their prostate examined in time.

Women have mammograms for a very good reason, so gentlemen - get with the program!

ToS

Another good reason not to smoke

Only if prostate cancer is already present

Testing for PSA level is not fully conclusive. Best safety guarantee is sticking your own finger up the pucker twice a year for a silky smooth size check, or ask the mrs to help.

My MD says he has his own way of doing things, the glove job, despite that he is willing to send me to the blood lab next door for a PSA check.
(first time I went to see him for PSA testing, he had a Greek intern, asked me if the other guy could have a go as well)

Only if prostate cancer is already present

Testing for PSA level is not fully conclusive. Best safety guarantee is sticking your own finger up the pucker twice a year for a silky smooth size check, or ask the mrs to help.

I was shopping for a new GP and said I didn't care male vs female. When I got to the first general exam she said I'll do one or the other, I said well I can't do one anymore so you better pick that one. Seriously this is professionalism?

Jacco I never told you about my big (6'6" (198 cm), 340-pound (154 kg)) Dutchie friend from MIT a movie star too Erland Van Lidth De Jeude - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Update to my last post: path results on removed tissue came through last weekend and on review her consultant is confident they have removed the ameloblastoma entire. This is an all-clear, subject to periodic review over next five years. It also clears the way to reconstructive follow-ups later this year (reinforcing bone graft, then when that's taken, implants to replace lost teeth. None of it visible externally, which is minor in the scheme of things but important in terms of self-esteem while healing, considering a return to work etc)

I am simply thrilled for the girl; it's the best news possible.
And thanks for the kind & supportive words from others here; the outreach does help, and it is appreciated.

Last edited:
Update to my last post: path results on removed tissue came through last weekend and on review her consultant is confident they have removed the ameloblastoma entire. This is an all-clear, subject to periodic review over next five years. It also clears the way to reconstructive follow-ups later this year (reinforcing bone graft, then when that's taken, implants to replace lost teeth. None of it visible externally, which is minor in the scheme of things but important in terms of self-esteem while healing, considering a return to work etc)

I am simply thrilled for the girl; it's the best news possible.
And thanks for the kind & supportive words from others here; the outreach does help, and it is appreciated.

I am so pleased that the treatment has worked so well for your friend, it makes me feel grateful to be living in the modern world where such good things can happen.

My wife is recovering well from her second mastectomy, except what we thought was trapped wind was in fact a gallstone trapped in the bile duct. Very painful. We believe that it was dislodged during the trauma of surgery, as the same thing had happened soon after her first mastectomy as well. Unbelievable, and thank goodness for morphine. She has been resting up today, finally free of pain, and thinking ahead to her hip replacement early next month. I'm exhausted but elated to be getting us through all this.

What a life, and to be alive and in the world, eh?

Martin, that is wonderful to hear.

ToS, good to hear things are progressing.

Vicky had to have two units of concentrated platelets as a result of low hemoglobin count this last week. She was scheduled for chemo sequence 4 but because of the low iron count she has had it postponed a week. She has been quite weak, but the two unit transfusion seems to be helping.

Vicky had to have two units of concentrated platelets as a result of low hemoglobin count this last week. She was scheduled for chemo sequence 4 but because of the low iron count she has had it postponed a week. She has been quite weak, but the two unit transfusion seems to be helping.

Her low hemoglobin count maybe be due to a combination of what kind of chemo mix she is being given, and perhaps a dietary deficiency - both of which are entirely understandable. To compensate, Vicky needs to be fed iron-rich foodstuffs such as spinach, beetroot, watercress and/or (if she eats meat) blood pudding or liver. If she lacks the energy to chew, then smoothies (which you're good at!) will help. A little bit and often is the key.

Try and avoid iron supplements, the body has difficulties in assimilation of them.

Instead, search out and find organic fruit/herb/vegetable based concentrated tonics in which vitamins and minerals are chelated - that is: bound up in an organic digestible form. My wife was helped considerably by this.

Keep going ToS

Somewhat off the general flavour of this thread, but in answer to the OP:

Since 2015, I've spent just over 18 months in hospital, about one third of that in the ICU. I've experienced 5 comas and just barely escaped total kidney failure requiring dialysis (4 weeks of dialysis in hospital waiting for my kidneys to recover, which they did).

I spent Xmas 2018 and New Year's Day 2019 in hospital, waking from a Coma to breathing tubes via my throat, feeding tubes via my nose (?), some kind of tube inserted between some ribs in my side, and both arms secured by my side so that I don't accidentally touch the line in my neck that goes directly to my heart. !0 days of that; I seriously wished I had been left to die rather than endure that, but it did eventually end, mercifully.

A new drug added to my prescription list from that visit costs $402.00 for 6 weekly applications. Mercifully I don't pay for prescription meds (covered by the Province) which were about $750/mo before this new drug, which comes in an injection via a disposable syringe, rather imposingly large in size (4000 units) ... you have to take instruction from a hospital nurse on how to apply it before they will discharge you from hospital.

The total estimated cost of my care over this time period exceeds one million dollars. Thank the Lord I live in the Province with the most comprehensive medical coverage in Canada, where the Provincial Health website states that a patient's out-of-pocket expense is listed as "you might be required to pay for parking".

Last edited:
The total estimated cost of my care over this time period exceeds one million dollars. Thank the Lord I live in the Province with the most comprehensive medical coverage in Canada, where the Provincial Health website states that a patient's out-of-pocket expense is listed as "you might be required to pay for parking".

After what you have just been through, you are certainly worth a lot more than a million dollars. Bravo! :worship:

ToS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.