Headphone Amplifier With Natural Crossfeed. – Capacitor values problems/questions

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi all

I consider building a crossfeed-jig according to Jan Meier's design (as can be found here). It seems quite easy to do and hasn't many parts. I wanted to use it either stand-alone or in a Preamp like Wayne's BA18 or Salas' DCG3..., thus not in his original design...

BUT the capacitor-values seem weird, Jan asks for a 0.1 nF, a 0.14 nf, and a 0.2 nF (and according resistors). The 0.14uF and 0.2uF seem to be kinda non-standard and are barely / not available, especially the 0.14 uF can't be found (I looked at Mouser, Digikey and some exotics)

What is the better option: go with a cap as close as possible (+- 10%), connect 2 in parallel, in series ?
Mister Meier provided us a excel-sheet to play around with the values, but I couldn't get it to show any differences...

The other stinging thing—shame on mee—is the most unliked question of all: What capacitor should I go with? Wima? DC Components? Roederstein? I of course don't want to bungle, stay reasonable, and pick the best for this... (OR, should I go even further and leave the THT-arena, aim for SMD? Argh!)

Thanks for hints and tips!

220nF/150nF standard values (5% polyprop films) is extremely close to 200nF/140nF and would skew the frequency characteristics only by a minimal amount even with all other caps (22nF, 30nF -- 2x15nF in parallel and 47nF) and resistors being the same... I wouldn't loose any sleep over that.

Reactions: 1 users